[net.movies] OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (09/16/85)

                             OUTLAW JOSIE WALES
                      A film review by Mark R. Leeper

          Capsule review:  This is not just another Clint Eastwood
     shoot-em-up.  Eastwood proves himself to be an accomplished
     director with a real eye for character.  This one also has a
     very good story.  The scenes of the post-Civil-War Midwest
     look like they could be photos of the period.  Worth renting.

     Walking out of PALE RIDER, Evelyn commented that she really would like
to see some more Clint Eastwood westerns.  Over the years I'd seen most of
the major ones, liking some, disliking others.  I remembered liking OUTLAW
JOSIE WALES when I saw it on cable, but was unable to interest Evelyn in
seeing it at the time.  When we saw PALE RIDER my only memory was that JOSIE
WALES had a very realistic feel to it and told a pretty good story.  It
seemed like a good choice to rent.  About eight people have seen it on my
recommendation since then.  They have unanimously rated it high and I have
sort of decided that it is probably my favorite western.

     The story is not all that original.  Before the Civil War, the Missouri
Red Legs killed off Wales's family.  Wales joins a Southern troop led by
Fletcher (played by John Vernon, who also plays the mayor in at least some
of the "Dirty Harry" films) to fight the Northerners, only to have the troop
killed off by an alliance of Vernon, the Red Legs, and Northerners.  Wales
is accused of the killing and must flee for his life.  On his way he sees a
lot of country and meets a fascinating collection of characters.  These
characters are very well drawn and it is really they that make the movie
work--they and a script that limns out their personalities with a minimal
number of brush strokes.  The same approach--showing off a cross-section of
the weird characters of society by following a wronged man bucking the
system, was used in another film I recommend, FOOLS' PARADE.

     I guess what is surprising about OUTLAW JOSIE WALES is how well it is
directed by Eastwood.  I have usually considered him an actor with little
more breadth than John Wayne had.  Neither actor was as limited as the
majority of their films show, but neither actor went much beyond a single
screen persona in most of his films.  Even in this film, Eastwood shows
little personality, giving far more to Chief Dan George's laconic character
or even to Vernon.  Yet the uniform quality of the direction and the rich
texture of the film indicate a directing talent that goes considerably
beyond the acting talent.

     Perhaps the biggest fault of the film is that, while visually it seems
right, the point of view of the script is that of a century after the film
takes place.  The Indians are all likable and reasonable.  Wales is a man
totally without any racial prejudice and very little sexual prejudice.

     If you haven't seen OUTLAW JOSIE WALES, well, that's what video rental
stores are for.  With the possible exception of BRONCO BILLY, OUTLAW JOSIE
WALES is the best film Eastwood has directed and probably the best he has
been in.

					Mark R. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (09/17/85)

In article <1161@mtgzz.UUCP> leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) writes:
>     If you haven't seen OUTLAW JOSIE WALES, well, that's what video rental
>stores are for.  With the possible exception of BRONCO BILLY, OUTLAW JOSIE
>WALES is the best film Eastwood has directed and probably the best he has
>been in.

I think JOSIE WALES is great, too, but I can't rank it that high in the
Eastwood canon, though, not when it includes masterpieces like THE GOOD, THE
BAD, AND THE UGLY and DIRTY HARRY and the DOLLARS movies and THE BEGUILED.
It *is* arguably the best one he has directed, although my personal favorite
is HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (I think he directed that?). JOSIE WALES has one piece
of dialogue that cracks me up every time: the situation is that a gang of
rowdies has killed a kid Clint befriended.  He pays them back in typical
Clint fashion and then has this conversation with Chief Dan George:

  Clint: Every time I get to likin' somebody he's not around too long.
  Chief: I noticed that when you get to dislikin' somebody he's not
         around too long, either.
  (followed by squinty look from Clint).

Give me more, give me more!
                                   Dennis Doubleday
                                   Univ. of Maryland

sdi@loral.UUCP (09/18/85)

Don't forget the best line in the movie:

JOSIE:  "Whatta do for a livin boy"?
YOUNG BOUNTY HUNTER:  "I'm a bounty hunter."  Hunter starts to reach nervously
for his gun.
JOSIE:  "Dyin aint much of a livin"

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (09/26/85)

 >I think JOSIE WALES is great, too, but I can't rank it that
 >high in the Eastwood canon, though, not when it includes
 >masterpieces like THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY and DIRTY
 >HARRY and the DOLLARS movies and THE BEGUILED.

It is a matter of taste, of course, but there are more interesting
characters in this OJW than I have seen in other Eastweed films.
Everybody likes Chief Dan George, but the carpetbagger and the raft
runner were nifty too.  There were nice little bits like Red Legs
saying don't worry, the least Wales will do is pick off the two or
three men in the front of the raft and the men at the front seem to
think that is bad enough.  Some how the line I like the most, because
the delivery is so perfect, is Chief Dan George's last comment in the
discussion of how Wales knew who to shoot at.  Also, I like that scene
because it shows that there was a lot more to being a gunfighter than
good reflexes.  How Wales knew how to shoot which attacker in which
order showed amazing deductive skills.

 >It *is*
 >arguably the best one he has directed, although my personal
 >favorite is HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (I think he directed that?).

Yup!  Maybe I should give that one another chance.  I gave up on it
after 15 minutes or so because I thought it was a bit slow.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper