[comp.lang.forth] New Forth standards

billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) (07/18/87)

Roumor has it that FST (Forth Standards Team) has gone into their
"technical proposal" phase for the next Forth standard.  I believe, but
am not sure, that the next standard will leave the existing '83 standard
pretty much alone.  If I remember correctly, they are working on covering
extensions to Forth.  Things like floating point, file i/o stuff, etc.

Anyone have ideas about extensions they'd like to see covered in the next
standard?  (Or, for that matter, gripes about Forth-83?)

I personally like Forth-83 alot.  It's ever so much better than things that
were around before.  (Before '79, especially!)

Anyone have any coments on the standard ANSI is doing for Forth?

Bill
Bill Kelly      {hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4, sdcsvax}!crash!billk

		"I hate operating systems!"  --GMK

liebman@xrxns.UUCP (Chris Liebman) (07/19/87)

In article <1403@crash.CTS.COM> billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
> I believe, but
>am not sure, that the next standard will leave the existing '83 standard
>pretty much alone.

Gee, I had hoped that they would do somthing to address 32-bit machines.
Only being able to use 16bit values puched on the stack or addresses
sure cripples machines like the mc68020 and probably the vax too..

			-- Chris
UUCP: ..!seismo!rochester!rocksanne!xrxns!liebman

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (07/23/87)

In article <1403@crash.CTS.COM> billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:

>Roumor has it that FST (Forth Standards Team) has gone into their
>"technical proposal" phase for the next Forth standard.  I believe, but
>am not sure, that the next standard will leave the existing '83 standard
>pretty much alone.  If I remember correctly, they are working on covering
>extensions to Forth.  Things like floating point, file i/o stuff, etc.
>Bill Kelly      {hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4, sdcsvax}!crash!billk
>
>		"I hate operating systems!"  --GMK

Hmmm...  As a referee of the FST, this is news to me.  I haven't
heard anything about any effort by the FST.  Maybe you know more
about it than I do, since, as I understand it, you are related to the
"GMK" mentioned in your .signature (GMK = Guy Kelly, President of the FST).
If Guy is doing something officially or otherwise, I for one would like
to be told about it directly rather than innuendo and supposed rumor.

Glenn Tenney
p.s.
Contrary to Guy Kelly's incorrect statement, I was the only member of
the FST to officially vote (in writing and received in a timely fashion
by the secretary of the FST) in opposition to the '83 standard.