[comp.lang.forth] light weight processes and threads

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/17/87)

In article <302@cbstr1.att.com> Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com writes:
>lm@cottage writes:
>> Another thing you can do is to have light weight processes.  The idea is
>> this:  run more than one process within a single process's address
>> space.  Switching between these processes is little more (a white lie)
>> than saving the old registers and throwing in the new ones.  All the
>> other baggage is unchanged, resulting in a faster context switch.
>
>I would disagree a bit on terminology.  The separation of a single
>process' data space into multiple schedulable entities is closer to
>what one thinks of as a "thread."  ..... Lots more deleted

What a *BEAUTIFUL* idea - multi-threaded FORTH: since FORTH has such
a simple "context": little more than a program counter & a couple of
stack pointers, a context switch could be done with about 10 instructions.
One wonders if this is in any way related to the fact that FORTH lends
itself to real time applications? (Note I am not a FORTH guru, just an
interested bystander who keeps his ears half open). However has anyone
out there heard of a multi-tasking FORTH environment / written one /
worked on one etc. etc. etc. My gut tells me to a FORTH expert it could
be very interesting.
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) (07/19/87)

In article <who cares> David Goodenough writes:

>has anyone ever heard of a Multitasking Forth environment? (Or written
>one?)

(He said something like that, anyway...)

Many Forths today are multitasking.  Traditionally, Forth was designed as
both a multitasking and multi user environment.

Bill
Bill Kelly      {hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4, sdcsvax}!crash!billk

		"I hate operating systems!"  --GMK

thomson@udel.EDU (Richard Thomson) (07/23/87)

In article <255@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>However has anyone out there heard of a multi-tasking FORTH environment?
>My gut tells me to a FORTH expert it could be very interesting.

The FORTH system for the Amiga supplied by Creative Solutions is a multi-tasking
FORTH in both the sense that the Amiga has multi-tasking within its own OS,
and another layer of multi-tasking within the application, managed by FORTH.
I haven't yet had the need or time to play with this feature of CSI's FORTH,
but the results should be very workable.  CSI has done a good job of providing
high-quality FORTH systems for a number of micros (they are the people who
wrote MacFORTH).				Rich Thomson

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/24/87)

As quoted from <255@wrs.UUCP> by dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough):
| interested bystander who keeps his ears half open). However has anyone
| out there heard of a multi-tasking FORTH environment / written one /
| worked on one etc. etc. etc. My gut tells me to a FORTH expert it could

The book STARTING FORTH by Leo Brodie discusses such a system, sold by a
company called Forth, Inc.
--
	  [Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved]
 [Redistribution permitted only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.]