[comp.lang.forth] Is anyone putting the Novix chip in their products?

rburns@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Randy Burns) (07/24/87)

Is anyone actually making any use of the Novix Forth engine in
marketed products? If so what. I saw Chuck Moore's little demo
machine at the Hackers conference 2.0 last year and I was quite
impressed.

richmond@utah-cs.UUCP (David Richmond) (07/25/87)

In article <14975@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> rburns@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Randy Burns) writes:
>Is anyone actually making any use of the Novix Forth engine in
>marketed products? If so what. I saw Chuck Moore's little demo
>machine at the Hackers conference 2.0 last year and I was quite
>impressed.

FORTH, Inc. in California ( I believe Hermosa beach) has a co-processor
board for the PC's that uses the Novix chip with an implementation of their
polyFORTH.  It is a new product so I dont know much about it except that the
published specs look great.

richmond@vlsi.utah.edu

Disclaimer -- I am not related to FORTH, Inc. beyond being a satisfied
customer.

jeff@felix.UUCP (Jeff Wallace) (07/27/87)

> Is anyone actually making any use of the Novix Forth engine in
> marketed products?

	I saw an article in EDN I believe about 6 months ago which stated that
Calay uses the Novix chip as a routing processor for their PCB design
workstation.  I believe this is a DEC Q-bus system.  The article
mentioned that they were originally going for a discrete (or bit-slice)
design but one of the engineers who was messing around with the Novix
chip demonstrated that he could provide the performance and get to market
much sooner.

	Also, Harris has a licensing agreement to add the Novix architecture
to its ASIC library.

--
					  Jeff Wallace
				{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!felix!jeff