[comp.lang.forth] Hello?

billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) (07/16/87)

Hello.  I was just curious as to how many people read comp.lang.forth?
One?  Two?  How about a head-count?

 Thanks,
 Bill
Bill Kelly      {hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4, sdcsvax}!crash!billk

		"I hate operating systems!"  --GMK

rfl@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Bob Loewenstein) (07/16/87)

Well, count me for one.

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall Winchester) (07/16/87)

I always read it when there is something to read.  There were two
messages today, so I had my hopes up.

toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/17/87)

In article <1392@crash.CTS.COM> billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:

>Hello.  I was just curious as to how many people read comp.lang.forth?
>One?  Two?

At least two, and maybe more.

>  How about a head-count?

Count me in.

(I think the problem is that UNIX and Forth are exact oposite environments).

Tom Almy

liebman@xrxns.UUCP (Chris Liebman) (07/17/87)

You should count me to!
	-- Chris

lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) (07/17/87)

1 comp-lang-forth-readers +!

I'm sure there are lots of folks who read this group and whose hopes will be
raised by the presence of messages here.  Rather than disappoint them, lemme
ask a couple of questions to start some discussion.

1)  What work has been done on garbage collectible forth systems (systems in
which words can be deleted in any order, and the space they take reclaimed)?

2) What work has been done on `crash proof' forth systems?  At what cost to
execution speed?

3) Does there exist an object oriented forth or forth extension?

Thomas Lord
lord+@andrew.cmu.edu

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (07/17/87)

    Yes, I read comp.lang.forth.  I used to read misc.test too,
    but there was too much traffic.

    Next question:

    Do you think Forth is the

        1.) Anglo-saxon
        2.) Latin
        3.) Greek
        4.) Sanskrit

    of computer languages?

/tom

cbbrowne@watmath.UUCP (07/17/87)

Well, here's one subscriber.  I'm not sure whether this should be a follow-up
message, or a reply to the author, so I'll just add a little to the traffic on
this extremely busy :-) newsgroup.  I am basically interested in the
language (I haven't implemented any real-time operating systems or built any
hard-wired Forth processors) and want to keep up with any developments that
might get mentioned here.  I'm afraid that I haven't seen too many recently.
I guess that things have slowed down a bit for the summer.

If anyone has a VAX UNIX Forth available, please let me know (post on the
net, or reply to me by e-mail).

                         Christopher Browne
                         University of Waterloo
                         Faculty of Mathematics
                         cbbrowne@watmath
--
                         Christopher Browne
                         University of Waterloo

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (07/18/87)

In article <2460@tekgvs.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.UUCP (Tom Almy) writes:
>In article <1392@crash.CTS.COM> billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
>>Hello.  I was just curious as to how many people read comp.lang.forth?
>>How about a head-count?
>
>Count me in.

Please, folks; polls should always be conducted by e-mail, not by followups.
If you want to announce that you read this newsgroup, mail that statement to
Bill and let him post the results.  Otherwise we're just wasting so much
bandwidth.

>(I think the problem is that UNIX and Forth are exact oposite environments).

That didn't stop me from writing a Forth semicompiler% in C under UNIX.  I
found it really convenient for executing system calls without having to wrap a
C program around them.

% "semicompiler" because it's somewhere between a compiler and interpretne

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (07/18/87)

In article <sUzP8Vy00Us=wNM0-x@andrew.cmu.edu> lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) writes:
>3) Does there exist an object oriented forth or forth extension?
I have previously posted to this group a record sturcture package for
forth. If you store forth words in fields of a a record, you can
easily build a dispatcher that does a DUP .method_foo @ EXECUTE this
is equivalent to calling the foo method of the object on the top of
stack and passing it itself as an argument. Inheritance is equally
easy to do. Type checking, and compile time type checking, are also
possible, but more difficult.

The macintosh product NEON already does a good deal of this.
--- David Phillip Oster            --My Good News: "I'm a perfectionist."
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --My Bad News: "I don't charge by the hour."
Uucp: {seismo,decvax,...}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

oltz@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Michael Oltz) (07/18/87)

In article <361df8fc.d5c4@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>     Do you think Forth is the
>         1.) Anglo-saxon
>         2.) Latin
>         3.) Greek
>         4.) Sanskrit
>     of computer languages?
I always thought it was (reverse) Polish. :-)
(Were you baiting people to say that?)
-- Mike Oltz   oltz@tcgould.tn.cornell.UUCP

mef@aplvax.UUCP (Martin E. Fraeman) (07/18/87)

Hello, I read this group too!

In article <sUzP8Vy00Us=wNM0-x@andrew.cmu.edu>, lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) writes:

> 3) Does there exist an object oriented forth or forth extension?
>
> Thomas Lord
> lord+@andrew.cmu.edu

Bob Davis just gave a very interesting talk at the Maryland FIG
meeting about his object oriented Forth based on F83.  Its supposed
to be posted on the East Coast Forth bulletin board.  If there's
interest, I ought to (if I can figure out an IBM PC) be able to
post it.

	Marty Fraeman

	US Mail:	Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
			Johns Hopkins Road
			Laurel, Md.  20707

			301-953-5000 x8360

	Usenet:		{...allegra,seismo}!umcp-cs!aplcen!aplvax!mef
	Arpanet:	mef@aplvax.arpa

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/18/87)

in article <1392@crash.CTS.COM>, billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) says:
> Hello.  I was just curious as to how many people read comp.lang.forth?
> One?  Two?  How about a head-count?

Probably more than you think. Alas, people don't ever seem to have anything to
POST to comp.lang.forth, even when given something to respond to. For example,
I posted a request for the address of the Forth Interest Group. To the sound
of null silence. I eventually found it in the back of a FORTH book in the
library. I guess it's because Forth is a dying language except on
microwave controller chips... after all, who would want to write unreadable
FORTH programs, when they can write unreadable "C" programs instead?!
--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     Ron Headrest: A President
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      for the Electronic Age!

rex@otto.COM (Rex Jolliff) (07/18/87)

Expires:

Count me also.  I read it whenever there stuff in here.

Are there any existing oerating systems written in forth?  Industrial or
otherwise?

--

Rex Jolliff  (rex@otto.UUCP, {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!rex)
The Sun Newspaper -            |Disclaimer:  The opinions and comments in

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/18/87)

Another comp.lang.forth reader.

I was a FORTH user for a while.
Now (fortunately/unfortunately? I'm not sure)
I'm working on UNIX, so don't have much to
say, but am ready to listen.

Particularly if anybody can tell me anything
about the NOVIX chip...

ken@rochester.arpa (Ken Yap) (07/20/87)

|Particularly if anybody can tell me anything
|about the NOVIX chip...

Disclaimer: I am not a Forth user although I have a liking for
"strange" languages that make me think about algorithms in a different
way. Besides Forth, my list includes APL, Prolog, Icon, and Lisp. (Of
course I use garden variety languages too.)

My recollections may therefore be incorrect so take this with a grain
of salt. I took a look at the vendor displays at the recent Forth
conference in Rochester. The Novix chip was there and being used by an
OEM, so it's real. You can buy a starter kit (connect a terminal and
you're off and running) for $495. It currently runs at 10M
instruction/sec. The techie I talked to said that is *at least* 10
million Forth primitives per second. Presumably this means the internal
clock rate is higher.  Faster chips (16M?) are projected.

Sorry, all my brochures are at the office so I have no addresses.  If I
got any of this wrong and you know better, please correct me.

	Ken

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (07/20/87)

I do.

I read this news group.  Please will you publish the count
when you have counted the many thousands of responses
that you are going to get!!!!

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from MAGIC             Arthur C. Clarke.

 Allan Foster     afoster@ogcvax

bill@westpt.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (07/20/87)

In article <1392@crash.CTS.COM>, billk@crash.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
> Hello.  I was just curious as to how many people read comp.lang.forth?
> One?  Two?  How about a head-count?

You can count me in!!!

bill gunshannon

UUCP:      {philabs,phri}!westpt!bill        PHONE:     (914)446-7747
US SNAIL:  Martin Marietta Data Systems      RADIO:     KB3YV
           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26           AX.25      KB3YV @ WA2RKN
           West Point, NY  10996

In article <361df8fc.d5c4@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>     Do you think Forth is the <list of languages> of computer languages?

Japanese. Or Chinese. Something with atomic words and postfix grammar.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

dickow@ui3.UUCP (07/23/87)

In comp.lang.forth / lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) asks:
>1) (...are there any systems in)
>which words can be deleted in any order, and the space they take reclaimed)?

   I use Delta Research's 'JForth' on the Amiga. They will have a way
   to eliminate unused words in a finished application.

>2) What work has been done on `crash proof' forth systems?  At what cost to
>execution speed?
   I am working on a crash-proof programmer...myself. And failing.

>3) Does there exist an object oriented forth or forth extension?
   Again, JForth has 'obe', an obj oriented environment based on smalltalk
   that takes, I think, about 23k of dictionary space. It's nifty.

  Finally, concerning this newsgroup, I do check it out. Curiously, not
too many folks contribute to it. I for one would like to see more discussion
and even examples of source code. Hows about it folks?!

Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (07/28/87)

In article <sUzP8Vy00Us=wNM0-x@andrew.cmu.edu> lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) writes:

>3) Does there exist an object oriented forth or forth extension?

If I remember right (its been a couple years, I may not) Dave Forsey
developed a language 'Faf' (or 'Fafhrd') which is an object-oriented
forth-like language.  This was a couple years back at U of Guelph,
Dave since moved on to Waterloo U.  (Dave, are you out there?)

Anyway the language has (or had) a small but enthusiastic local following,
if you're seriously interested you might try to track it down.
--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

(Why do they call it a signature file if I can't actually *sign* anything?)