[net.movies] Hitchcock Trivia

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (08/28/85)

I have arranged for followups to this to go only to net.movies

> But I really enjoy a good horror movie. I'm a Hitchcock fanatic (Psycho
> is one of my favourite movies) because I love the suspense and terror

Many people quote Hitchcock's "Psycho" as a classic horror movie.
How many of you know that Hitchcock didn't actually direct the most
famous scene in his movie - the shower scene?

Who did direct it?
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/31/85)

In article <1759@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
>Many people quote Hitchcock's "Psycho" as a classic horror movie.
>How many of you know that Hitchcock didn't actually direct the most
>famous scene in his movie - the shower scene?
>
>Who did direct it?

There is a rumor that it was directed by Saul Bass.  I myself do not believe
it, and it is far from established fact.  Given that Hitchcock spent his entire
career doing flashy camera movements and editing, I see no reason not to believe
that he didn't do the same in "Psycho".
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

jay@umd5.UUCP (09/05/85)

I too have heard that Saul Bass, Hitchcock's (and others') credit
sequence designer, directed the Psycho shower sequence footage.  Whether
or not this is true, Hitchcock prepared his films in advance of shooting
so it doesn't really matter who was at the helm when the footage was shot.
He often claimed to be bored during the day to day shootings because the
fun of filmmaking for him was working out the details on paper (storyboarding)
with the screenwriter, art designer, etc.  This is not to take anything away
from Saul Bass whose credit sequences are brilliant and an easily
recognizable a stamp on every film they precede.
--
Jay Elvove       ..!seismo!rlgvax!cvl!umd5!jay
c/o Systems, Computer Science Center, U. of MD.

steven@ism70.UUCP (09/05/85)

I remember specifically reading that Hitch did direct the shower
scene himself. Crew members reminisced that it seemed quite
incongruous to have the director, who always wore a suit and tie
to the set, directing a naked body double for Janet Leigh.

Saul Bass did direct a version of the scene where Abernathy
(Martin Balsam) enters the Bates home and is attacked by
"Mother".  Hitch went back and reshot it, according to Hitch,
because Bass' version made it look like Abernathy was the
menacing character rather than the menaced one.

Bass did titles for several Hitchcock films, including "North by
Northwest", "Vertigo" and "Psycho". Another of his contributions
to "Psycho" was matting in clouds behind shots of the Bates home
that rushed by at an abnormally high speed. This was intended to
give the viewer the impression that something was eerie in the
shot without your being quite able to figure out what was amiss.

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (09/27/85)

<<<<
<
<
< I remember specifically reading that Hitch did direct the shower
< scene himself. Crew members reminisced that it seemed quite
< incongruous to have the director, who always wore a suit and tie
< to the set, directing a naked body double for Janet Leigh.
<

He had a problem getting the perfect scream from Janet until he got the
idea of suddenly shutting off the hot water during the filming. The
rest is history.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john