[comp.lang.forth] More on FOrth for the SUN

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (12/09/87)

I received the following communication from the author of the
PD Forth83 which I posted to the net. I figured I would pass it along
for those of you who need something past what was posted.

As a note, I am in no associated with Mitchell Bradley.

========== start of included letter ===============================

From wmb@Sun.COM Tue Dec  8 00:26:15 1987
To: lawitzke@eecae.ee
Cc: wmb@Sun.COM
Subject: Sun F83 Update (from the author)
Date: 07 Dec 87 20:42:16 PST (Mon)
From: wmb@Sun.COM

I appreciate all your effort in making my Sun Forth system available
to the net.  I'd like to update you on the latest scoop about the program.
Please feel free to pass on all or part of this message as you see fit.

Sun Forth (the latest version of the Forth on the Sun User Group tape)
is now available as a supported product from my "garage" company
Bradley Forthware.  Sun Forth has many improvements over the version
on the Sun User Group tape; the latest version includes, in addition
to the features in the public domain version,

* Printed manual and on-line help.
* Disassembler
* Sun-3 now supported in stand-alone configuration.
* Dynamic linking of C object files is much improved (I'm not sure
  the SUG version even has dynamic object file linking).
* All Unix system calls are now supported.
* 68881 floating point support.
* High level and assembly-language single-stepping/breakpoints/tracing.
* Stack backtrace and register display from saved exception state.
* Execution of shell commands from within Forth.
* Line-editor starts automatically.
* Callfinder and wordfinder.
* Improved page mode for long listings.
* Interval timers.
* Bit field operators for 68020.
* More devices supported in the standalone diagnostics.
* Sun-4 version available.
* ROM versions available for any 680x0-based board.
* Compatible with Forthmacs for the Atari ST and Macintosh, and C Forth 83
  which runs on many machines.

Source code is still included.

The price is $150.

I'm not trying to remove the old version from free use; I'm just offering
a supported, updated version at a modest price which will enable me to
continue improving and supporting it.

Forth to the Future,
Mitch Bradley

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)