Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 10:58:42 EST
From: mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu>)
Subject: Re: Amiga Forth Newsletter V1, #1

I like the idea of the standard prelude. I'd like to suggest that you post
Mr. Tracys standard prelude. If we're going to try to decide whether to use
that or create our own, it would help for us all to see exactly what it
includes.

There is going to be a problem in portability with structures.
JForth uses a slightly different syntax for structures. ( I'm not exactly
sure what it is. SOmeone sent me source code for WarpText in Jforth, and
it was not the simple offset notation that MF uses.)

And finally, I have a proposal:
	I'd like to see a group of us try to come up with a standard
Object Oriented facility in Forth. It shouldn't be too hard to create
one, and I think the benefits would be enourmous. The one thing Amiga lacks is
any sort of object oriented programming language. And with the totally
open format of a Forth interpreter, I think forth is a good language to build
one in.

		<MC>

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 08:49:23 CST
From: Glen Overby <ncoverby@NDSUVAX.BITNET>

In article <5323@utah-cs.UUCP> you write:
>This first one's a little long, but I thought I would at least post it so
>that the other people in comp.lang.forth can see what we're doing.  I won't
>post the following issues unless there is sufficient response from the net
>to warrant doing so.  After all, I could always add people to the mailing
>list.
>                                                Rich Thomson

I am interested in seeing future issues of your newsletter, although I do
not own an amiga.  I say go ahead and post them to the net!

Glen Overby
Bitnet:  ncoverby@ndsuvax
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!ndsuvax!ncoverby

Date: Monday, March 7th, 1988
From: Richard A Thomson (thomson@cs.utah.edu)
Subject: Re: Standard Prelude

Mark Carroll mentions Martin Tracy's standard prelude [see above] in his
comments about the newsletter.  I am trying to get a copy of this prelude to
make a version specifically for Multi-Forth, so that MF programs could be
more portable.  (There's a copy of FORTH for the Suns I'd like to play with)
I will post a copy of this prelude when I get one.  If anybody has a copy,
please e-mail it to me and I will re-distribute it to the list.

						Rich Thomson

Date: Monday, March 7th, 1988
From: Richard A Thomson (thomson@cs.utah.edu)
Subject: Re: Object Oriented FORTH Extension

Perhaps a good place to start would be the book _Object Oriented Programming
in FORTH_ by Dick Pountain of Byte fame.  I don't have a copy, but it is
apparently one of the prime references for OO extensions to FORTH.  I've heard
tale that JForth has OO extensions.  Phil Burk, care to comment on JForth's
implementation?

						Rich Thomson