[comp.lang.forth] FORTH for the Apple ][ series

jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (05/13/88)

I've seen FORTH implementations for the Apple ][ GS but not
for the //+, //e, or //c.  Can anybody point me at a
"6502 FORTH?"

--Jim Fox
jlfox@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
jlfox@pittvms.bitnet

galew@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Gale Wolfenbarger) (05/13/88)

Sure, there have been a couple of them around.  Naturally you can get fig
forth if you are really into pain.  Or there is graph-forth which does a
very nice job with graphics.  And there is another one that the name
escapes me right now.  Seems like it was Dr. somebodies forth.  It probably
isn't around any more and wasn't real great any way.  Sorry I really can't
tell you who sells these.  I know that they were being distributed out of
Mountain View, California.  I believe the company was the Mountain View
Press.  Their phone number is 415-961-4103.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Good luck in your search.  A lot of these packages just aren't available
any more.

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Richard A Thomson) (05/14/88)

In article <9689@cisunx.UUCP> jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) writes:
>I've seen FORTH implementations for the Apple ][ GS but not
>for the //+, //e, or //c.  Can anybody point me at a
>"6502 FORTH?"

I have documentation for "Metacrafts FORTH for Apple II".  Their address is:

    Metacrafts, Ltd.
    144 Crewe Road
    Shavington
    Crewe CW2 5AJ
    England

Here's the table of contents for the manual:

    I	Intallation Guide
    II	Development Tools
	1. COPY
	2. DOCUMENT
	3. DECODE and DUMP
	4. Screen Editor
	5. DEBUG
    III System Description
	1. Word Sets
	2. Internal Details
	3. Vocabulary Mechanism
	4. Execution Vectors
	5. Overlays
	6. Buffer and Heap Management
	7. Language Card
	8. Local Variables
	9. 6502 Assembler
	10. Strings, Graphics and Game Controllers
    IV	Glossary

    "Metacrafts FORTH is a high performance implementation of the FORTH
    language and operating system for the Apple II/IIe computers.  It is
    fully compatible with the 1979 definition of the language as documented
    by the FORTH standards team."

					-- Rich
USnail: Richard Thomson, Design Engineer, Oasis Technologies, 3190 MEB,
        University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
FONE: (801) 584-4555: Talk to a machine; they're lonely.
ARPA: thomson@cs.utah.edu     UUCP: {bellcore, ihnp4, ut-sally}!utah-cs!thomson
			Science: the modern mythology

mdg@smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (05/15/88)

I recommend Lyon's Forth for the Apple ][. IT is reasonably robust, has a
decent editor, disk utilities, and is based on fig-Forth. It was written
by George Lyons, who (I believe) started the New Jersey chapter of fig.

I have a copy, but no machine to copy it on...

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)
UUCP: {hplabs, sun, ucbvax}!amdcad!uport!smegma!mdg

mackay@dalcsug.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (05/15/88)

Two guys here in Halifax, Tom Bushell and George Matthews, have written
a pretty good Forth and connected it to ProDOS (respectively), called
Telekinetics Forth.  I use it occasionally and really like the OS interface.
George claims that his system has segmented memory swapping but I've never
quite been able to figure out how to use it.(he swaps the editor in and out
when he's doing development).

George's Forth system runs his house's security system, the greenhouse,
the heating system, and the solar collector, and is connected to a voice
synthesizer and a dialler which sends him messages on his pager when
anything unusual happens. It's a bit weird to work with George....

"BEEP BEEP BEEP Propagation bed is overheating!" - the sun was shining on
the propagation bed.  The machine thought the thermostat had malfunctioned.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP Propagation bed is under control" - these two messages repeated
about 10 times in one partially-clouded afternoon.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP Somebody's home" - not a particularly helpful message since
the house doesn't know WHO's home.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP Home Control system four point five is on the air" - power
had gone off and machine had rebooted.

The main control loop for the program ticks the //e's speaker about every
second.  There's a separate box that listens for the tics and shuts the
power off to the //e for about 15 seconds if the heartbeat fails (because of a
power glitch, for instance, nuking memory).  It's neat to be in George's
basement when the system's off, in total silence (except for a slow crackle
from the woodstove with all its dampers shut) and have the system come back
up.  Fans come on, circulators in the open solar system gurgle, dampers flap,
relays and solenoids clatter and the house comes alive again.

In the winter, kids tease the house by throwing snowballs into the airspace
around the house.  It switches on the lights in the relevant area for a few
minutes, then switches them back off again.

---
+---------+				Dalhousie University
|    _    |     From the		Halifax, Nova Scotia
|   (_)===|     Disk of ...		Canada
|         |      Daniel		mackay@dalcsug.UUCP
+---------+			...{utai,uunet}!dalcs!dalcsug!mackay

ZMLEB@SCFVM.BITNET (Lee Brotzman) (05/17/88)

Another Forth system for the Apple //e and //c is distributed by Unified
Software Systems.  There are two versions, both operate under ProDOS only.

The Uniforth Apple Professional Software Development System is a complete,
commercial system, including 500+ pages of documentation, software floating
point with a separate floating point stack, full-screen block editor, strings
using a separate string stack, decompiler, debugger, hi-res and low-res
plotting, Forth words for all ProDOS calls, and more.  All source code, except
the kernel, is provided.

The Professional uses all available memory by storing the kernel in the
alternate memory at $D000, headers in the alternate 48K memory, and code
and data in the main 48K memory.  List price around $175.

The Uniforth Apple Sampler is a freely-redistributable, and less powerful,
version of the Professional.  It uses only the main 48K memory bank, has
somewhat less optimized floating point routines, and a full screen editor.
The Sampler is available for downloading on the GEnie Forth Round Table
and the East Coast Forth Board.

Since I am the author of both software packages I shouldn't to go into
the features any further here.  E-mail me if you want more details, or you can
contact:

   Unified Software Systems
   P.O. Box 21294
   Columbus, OH 43221-0294