[comp.lang.forth] The Harris hardware forth processor

mdg@smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (05/14/88)

Have any readers of this news group used the Harris RTX (Real Time Express)
product? It is a (hopefully fixed) NC4000 look-alike.
I am interested in any reports.

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)
UUCP: {hplabs, sun, ucbvax}!amdcad!uport!smegma!mdg

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (05/19/88)

In article <392@smegma.UUCP>, mdg@smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:
> Have any readers of this news group used the Harris RTX (Real Time Express)
> product? It is a (hopefully fixed) NC4000 look-alike.
> I am interested in any reports.

The Harris RTX-2000 is a *substantially* re-worked and improved NC4000.
The RTX-2000 takes very similar machine language (perhaps with very
minor changes that are hidden behind the Forth compiler) to the NC4000,
but the RTX is supposed to have all the bugs fixed.

The RTX parts all run at 10 MHz, as opposed the the NC4000 which
is rated at 8 MHz (but that means that only some of the parts will run
at 8 MHz if you're very careful.)  The current RTX version has a 16-bit
hardware multiplier.  See the latest EE Times (I think it's page 8)
for more details.