[comp.lang.forth] What's going on in the Forth world these days?

wpohl@hvrunix.UUCP (Walter E. Pohl) (06/10/88)

     I was just wondering, what's going on in the Forth world these days?
I haven't used Forth in a couple years, due to lack of access (I said to
myself, when I go to college, I bet they'll have a Forth implementation!
Foolish me.).
     Are there any new standards since Forth-83?  Have there been any major changes?  Has Forth gained any kind of respectability in the computer world?  It
seems you don't hear about it and how revolutionary it is as much any more.

mdg@smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (06/13/88)

In article <425@hvrunix.UUCP> wpohl@hvrunix.UUCP (Walter E. Pohl) writes:
>     I was just wondering, what's going on in the Forth world these days?
>I haven't used Forth in a couple years, due to lack of access (I said to
>myself, when I go to college, I bet they'll have a Forth implementation!
>Foolish me.).

Most computer science departments don't talk about Forth. The way I have heard
it, if Forth is to be found at a university, it is in the electrical
engineering department.

>     Are there any new standards since Forth-83?  Have there been any major changes?  Has Forth gained any kind of respectability in the computer world?  It
>seems you don't hear about it and how revolutionary it is as much any more.

The IEEE has a standards committee.  Perhaps someone who knows details will
post here on their progress.  Forth-83, to my knowledge, is the latest dialect
in wide use.

The latest thing in the Forth world that's exciting, in my opinion, is the
appearance of hardware Forth implementations.  They seem to differ from
other hardware language implementations in that the design of the silicon
reflects the elegance of Forth itself.  There are fewer gates for a given
level of functionality.

Two companies dealing in hardware Forth implementations are Novix, Inc. and
Harris Semiconductor.  Novix is in the silicon valley somewhere and Harris
is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)
UUCP: uunet!{uport,ubvax}!smegma!mdg

smill@Mills.berkeley.edu (Steven Miller) (06/13/88)

	There are some interesting things going on in FORTH here
at the Mills graduate music department. A computer music language
called Hierarchical Music Specification Language (HMSL) has been de-
veloped in a specially designed object-oriented version of FORTH.
The Language currently runs on the Amiga and Mac families of computers
and is designed primarily for real-time interactive applications in
music performance, composition, and experiments in musical AI applications.
The language makes extensive use of user-defined midi (and for the amiga,
local sound, too) virtual instruments to control any midi device, or other
custom interfaces the user may wish to implement.

For more info contact via ARPA:

larry@mills.berkeley.edu
phil@mills.berkeley.edu
david@mills.berkeley.edu

Steven M. Miller

bgahl@scuba.uucp (Robert Gahl Sun Federal Systems Eng.) (06/16/88)

From article <425@hvrunix.UUCP>, by wpohl@hvrunix.UUCP (Walter E. Pohl):

>      I was just wondering, what's going on in the Forth world these days?

The last Forth meeting I was able to attend (about 6 months ago or so),
they discussed that IEEE and ANSI were developing a set of forth
standards. The group said the community at large was trying to stone-wall
the ANSI group as "they are a bunch of ivory-tower types who will not
represent the community at large" and throw all their support to IEEE so
it would come out first, or something to that effect. Now, like I said,
it has been several months, and my memory refresh isn't what it use to
be, so this is all subject to a modicum of change.

>      Are there any new standards since Forth-83?  Have there been any
>      major changes?  Has Forth gained any kind of respectability in the
>      computer world?  It seems you don't hear about it and how
>      revolutionary it is as much any more.

The advent of the NOVIX work by Chuck is quite exciting. So, too, is the
work by Glen Haydon et al on their WISC board (writeable instruction
set). This is truly a beauty to behold. Here is a plug-in board
coprocessor that plugs into the AT/XT bus, and will give you no end in
performance. Someone more knowledgeable than I can carry this
conversation, as I have only witnessed Glen's demonstration's of it. It
is making in-roads in areas of AI currently.

One question I might add, and maybe this has been discussed before, is:
Has anyone investigated a dedicated Forth PostScript processor. The
likeness between the two is uncanny. The PS printers we have around here
are 68000 based, and burdened to boot. I was wondering about a FORTH
solution, such as NOVIX or WISC, to heighten its processing power.

Any ideas?

Bob Gahl
UUCP:  ...!sun!bgahl

Paktor@cup.portal.com (06/17/88)

Marc de Groot writes:
>                    ....  Novix is in the silicon valley somewhere ....

I posted this before, as part of a much longer posting, in the collection
    comp/lang/forth/Novix chip with Computer Cowboys software by Calvin Moore
    undser the title:    Novix Development Software

Here it is again, just by itself:

The best place to get information about the Novix Chip is from Novix them-
    selves.  Their address, phone number, and very existence, is one of the
    best-kept secrets in Silicon Valley, but I'm going to divulge it, anyway:

                         Novix, Inc.,
                     2933 Bunker Hill Lane,
                          Suite 102
                   Santa Clara, Calif.  95054
                         (408) 982 0255

David

  === Mister Systems ===         |     "You know the times
      David L Paktor             |      you impress me the most
  Paktor@cup.Portal.com          |      when you don't even try."  -- Joni M.