[comp.lang.forth] Amiga Forth Code ??

Aahz@cup.portal.com (06/19/88)

Does ANYONE know or have Forth for the Amiga??

       Please Respond

          Aahz

       @sun.cup.portal

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Rich Thomson) (06/20/88)

In article <6657@cup.portal.com> Aahz@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does ANYONE know or have Forth for the Amiga??
>
>       Please Respond
>
>          Aahz
>
>       @sun.cup.portal

Yes, there are FORTH hackers programming on the Amiga.  I set up a mailing
list as a resource for just these programmers (and those who would like to
learn about FORTH programming in general and on the amiga specifically).
You can subscribe to the list by mailing a request to:
    amiga-forth-request@cs.utah.edu

Currently there are two implementations of FORTH for the Amiga: Multi-Forth
by Creative Solutions, Inc. (the people who brought you MacForth) and JForth
by Delta Research, Inc. (the people who subscribe to my mailing list :-).
The two implementations differ slightly in their flavor, but both of them
implement full access to the graphics and sound capabilities of the Amiga
through the system libraries.  We just recently ran some benchmarks comparing
the two and JForth came out ahead.  I currently own M-F but plan on buying
JF soon.  I can answer any questions you might have about the list or M-F
and there are those who subscribe to the list who can answer questions about
JForth (since I don't have it, I'm not really qualified).

						-- Rich
--
Rich Thomson, Oasis Technologies, 3190 MEB, U of U, Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
(801) 355-5146  thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,ut-sally}!utah-cs!thomson

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (06/20/88)

In article <6657@cup.portal.com> Aahz@cup.portal.com writes:
> Does ANYONE know or have Forth for the Amiga??
>
>        Please Respond
>
>           Aahz
>
>        @sun.cup.portal

 I prefer Multi-Forth from ...

  Creative Solutions
  4701 Randolph Road
  Suite 12
  Rockville, MD 20852

  (301)-984-0262

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          PHONE 215-431-9275
    Everybody likes hard work ... especially when THEY'RE paying for it.

smill@Mills.berkeley.edu (Steven M. Miller) (06/21/88)

	Try J-Forth, available through Phil Burke at Mills College.
ARPA: Phil@mills.berkekey.edu
UUCP: Phil@mills.UUCP

very fast forth system, includes some object oriented code written
by Phil, also.

--
Steven M. Miller	Arpa: smill@mills.berkeley.edu
			uucp: smill@mills.UUCP

Mills College Center For Contemporary Music, Oakland CA 94613

tenney@well.UUCP (07/01/88)

In article <5564@utah-cs.UUCP> thomson@cs.utah.edu.UUCP (Rich Thomson) writes:
>In article <6657@cup.portal.com> Aahz@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Does ANYONE know or have Forth for the Amiga??
>Currently there are two implementations of FORTH for the Amiga: Multi-Forth
>by Creative Solutions, Inc. (the people who brought you MacForth) and JForth
>by Delta Research, Inc. (the people who subscribe to my mailing list :-).

Actually, I know of a third FORTH.  There is a public domain 79-Standard
system available from Mountain View Press.  This may not be the fastest,
and is a 16 bit system, but it was the first one available and is on an
early Fish disk (contact MVP for documentation).
Glenn Tenney