[comp.lang.forth] Forth on workstations

jl@LUNCH.PC.CS.CMU.EDU (Juan Leon) (07/09/88)

  Folks,

  I am looking for a FORTH compiler/environment for VAXen, SUNs, or IBM RTs.

  Sources would be nice indeed.

  Please send any leads to me directly, as I do not read this newsgroup
  regularly.  I'll summarize if necessary.

  Thanks!

 Juan Leon			jl@cs.cmu.edu
 Computer Science		leon+@andrew.bitnet
 Carnegie Mellon University
 Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.

revell@cos.com (James R. Revell) (07/09/88)

In article <2210@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jl@lunch.pc.cs.cmu.edu (Juan Leon) writes:
>  I am looking for a FORTH compiler/environment for VAXen, SUNs, or IBM RTs.
>  Sources would be nice indeed.
>  Please send any leads to me directly ...  [deleted]
>
> Juan Leon			jl@cs.cmu.edu
> Computer Science		leon+@andrew.bitnet

I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would like to here about this as
well. Please post any information in this group for all of us.

I'd particularly be interested in those for suns.
(anyone at idacom care to bite?)

olson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (olson) (07/10/88)

In article <3515@cos.com> revell@cos.UUCP (James R. Revell) writes:
>In article <2210@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jl@lunch.pc.cs.cmu.edu (Juan Leon) writes:
>>  I am looking for a FORTH compiler/environment for VAXen, SUNs, or IBM RTs.
>>  Sources would be nice indeed.
>> Juan Leon			jl@cs.cmu.edu
>> Computer Science		leon+@andrew.bitnet
>... Please post any information in this group for all of us.
>I'd particularly be interested in those for suns.

There is a PD Forth83 for the Sun and other 68*** machines,
written by Mitch Bradley (who's main occupation is working at Sun).
A version of this is on the 1985 Sun user group tape (I think).
It was also posted over the net a while a go, so you might check
in one of the mod source archives.
I have a copy but have not had a chance to use it much.

More recently Mitch has been offering SUPPORTED versions of F83
from his company (with the blessings of Sun)
BRADLEY FORTHWARE, P.O.Box 4444,  Mountain View CA 94040

I have some literature from him.  There are alot of options.
Here are a few points.

Sun Forth  (Sun1,2,3 or Sun4(SPARC))   $200 first machine,
                                       $200/2machines there after
                                       $1000 site license (any # of machines)
     32bit, runs standalone or under unix, interfaces to all system calls
     uses standard unix files, dynamic loading of C object files
     Call forth from C or vice versa.  Single step debugger and trace
     Crash resistant-exceptions and signals return to forth interpreter.
     Strings, IEEEfloatingpoint, direct threaded
     includes complete source code and the metacompiler

C Forth 83:  (everything else)         $50
     includes source code(kernal and forth extentions)
              on-line documantation and printed glossary
     Compatible subset of the above machine specific forths
     Runs on Unix(Suns(680X0,SPARC,386),VAX,Ridge),
     VAX under VMS, IBMmainframs under MVS, compiled with waterloo C compiler.
     IBMPC small model compiled by TurboC.
     Can access C library routines by editing C kernel sources.

Forthmacs:  AtariST, Macintosh, OS-9   $50 (+$50source)

Hope this helps
Todd Olson
olson@helios.tn.cornell.edu

Disclaimer:  I have not actually used any of this stuff.

moshe@ihnet.ATT.COM (moshe) (07/10/88)

In article <2210@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jl@lunch.pc.cs.cmu.edu (Juan Leon) writes:

>  I am looking for a FORTH compiler/environment for VAXen, SUNs, or IBM RTs.

What about for the MacIntosh II?  You get a 68020 and the best
user interface you'll see for years.  Try Mach 2 from Palo Alto
shipping, for about $80.

--

Moshe Yudkowsky   moshe@ihnet.att.com  ihnp4!ihnet!moshe
AT&T Bell Labs    Naperville, Illinois (312/*8) 979-5192

brunjes@kadsma.kadsm (Roy Brunjes) (07/14/88)

In article <3515@cos.com> revell@cos.UUCP (James R. Revell) writes:
>I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would like to here about this as
>well. Please post any information in this group for all of us.
>
>I'd particularly be interested in those for suns.

Sun Microsystems themselves have a version of Forth for their Sun-3 series of
workstations.  I don't know if it is available for Sun-4's yet.  The Sun
person you would need to contact would be Mitch Bradley.  The last number I
have for him is 415 960-1300.  I hear the cost is $150.  (Obviously, if the
price is different, don't blame me -- I'm not a Sun marketing person!)

Hope this helps.

Roy Brunjes