[comp.lang.forth] Forth compiler/interpreter for IBM-PC and UNIX.

rsl@bio-image.UUCP (Bob Lippert) (07/15/88)

In article <3369@ubc-cs.UUCP> parakh@spring.cs.ubc.ca () writes:

>Can someone recommend a good public domain Forth interpreter/compiler
>for the IBM-PC/AT and information as to where I can find a copy.

I have a good Forth interpreter/compiler written in C (and Forth). I'm
sure it will also work on UNIX since I have used only standard C. I can
not state that it is 100% (standard) Forth and it has enhancements that
put it at a higher level. This is why I have not put it out to the public
domain (nor have I had the time to). I would love to have feedback on it.
It was developed as the low level portion of another language I am working
on called ICEBERG, which is an object based (application toolbox) language.

My implementation is called FORTHinC and enhancements are:
	- Infix notation is possible for equations by enclosing in {}
    - Subscipting for arrays using []. Also can be used for infixing code
	  or parameterizing to make code look non-stack based (nesting is ok).
    - A library facility for code retrieved automatically from the
      library file if not in memory (code is de-threaded before storage).
    - Code optimization (de-threading) for very fast code.
    - A standard help facility (loaded from library by typing help)
    - Variables are type checked so that operations on non-similar
      types are easy. (this reduced the set of commands needed)
    - Around 150 (all primative!) commands define the language

If anyone out there wants a copy, send me 20$ for shipping and handling,
and I will send you a document (on disk) and all the C source. Note, I have
a copyright on this code and do not want a million versions of it floating
around, so it is not for re-sale or re-distribution. However, if you obtain
permission first, I will likely agree to its use within other products.
Note:   Please specify disk type or I will use a 1.2 Meg floppy.

	    Cognetics Inc.
		Robert S. Lippert          Phone: (313) 769-2634
		1275 N. Silo Ridge Dr.
		Ann Arbor, Mi. 48108