[comp.lang.forth] FORTHing at the mouth

cs374124@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Clark "Crash" Culligan) (10/13/88)

   I notice an awful lot of Amiga FORTHs out there... Does anyone have a
decent FORTH for the APPLE computers (Please don't everyone flame me at
once). I have a IIGS, and I'd like to set up a system-specific screen
exchange.

   By the way... Is there a book of good FORTH algorithms? Mountain View
Press didn't amaze me with their selection because, let's face it: a
large number of their books deal with their FORTH.

   Standardization... We need standardization. That's what's hurting
PROLOG, too.
                                            -David Wood
   The handle's just a name; I'm not famous for anything even remotely
system-related.

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (10/15/88)

In article <1257@umbc3.UMD.EDU> cs374124@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Clark "Crash" Culligan) writes:

>   I notice an awful lot of Amiga FORTHs out there... Does anyone have a
>decent FORTH for the APPLE computers (Please don't everyone flame me at
>once). I have a IIGS, and I'd like to set up a system-specific screen
>exchange.

	That's an interesting question. Do you know of one? Post here
if you find one. I will meanwhile check the Forth Interest Group Library
on GEnie, but I don't think there is one there for IIGS.

>   By the way... Is there a book of good FORTH algorithms? Mountain View
>Press didn't amaze me with their selection because, let's face it: a
>large number of their books deal with their FORTH.

	Kelly & Spies: _A Forth Text And Reference_
	C.H. Ting: _Forth Programmer's Notebook_ Vols. 1 & 2
	Subscribe to _Forth Dimensions_ magazine.

>   Standardization... We need standardization. That's what's hurting
>PROLOG, too.

	ANSI Standardization is underway, David! Thanks for thinking of
it! :-)

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}									  {}
{} jax@well	." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"		  {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 300/1200 8-n-1 24 hrs."                 {}
{} JAX on GEnie		." Tell them JAX sent you!"			  {}
{}									  {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

cs374124@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Clark "Crash" Culligan) (10/17/88)

In article <7378@well.UUCP> jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>>   I notice an awful lot of Amiga FORTHs out there... Does anyone have a
>>decent FORTH for the APPLE computers (Please don't everyone flame me at
>>once). I have a IIGS, and I'd like to set up a system-specific screen
>>exchange.
>>
>	That's an interesting question. Do you know of one? Post here
>if you find one. I will meanwhile check the Forth Interest Group Library
>on GEnie, but I don't think there is one there for IIGS.

   As it happens, I have one: It's GS16FORTH by GSF Inc., a company out
of Florida. (I'll see if I can fish up the address for youse guys) They
have a one year upgrade and technical support policy for registered
users (Anyone that purchases from GSF is registered), and the only
exception I've seen is the $15 I spent to upgrade to v2.0 (It uses GSOS
but it doesn't support MIDI or Audio Compression and Expansion yet. Big
deal: Neither does Apple). It includes a full-screen editor (with source
code, so you can customize it or even- dare I say it- borrow for your
own programs. It also has a bunch of screens so you can save your
compiled FORTH software as PRODos 16 or GSOS applications.
   GS16FORTH has a few irregularities, though: Because a 3.5" holds
800K, a hard sectoring scheme just won't work that well, and besides,
you need to use GSOS in one form or another to use the Toolbox. They got
around that by using screen files which the FORTH system views as groups
of FORTH-like sectors.
   And all of that for about $60 (or $35-75 depending on what you want
in it). So far, I'd say it's done what it's promised, but I'm still
looking for a way to get random numbers without starting up the frickin'
Event Manager!

                                   -David Wood
                                    Lowly Student, UMBC

=  A Mind is a Terrible Thing to have Leaking Out Your Ears  =
=                       -The League of Sadistic Telepaths    =

ns@maccs.McMaster.CA (Nicholas Solntseff) (10/19/88)

Some time back I received a mailing from some FIG Chapter which consisted
of a disk with the Laxen and Perry F83 translated to Apple II.  I cannot
locate the disk in my office -- but I know that an Apple II version of F83
exists!

N. Solntseff
(416) 525-9140, xtn 3443.