[comp.lang.forth] MVP-Forth IO ??_

ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (10/10/88)

I'm new to Forth, but I really like it.

I'm using a public domain version of MVP-Forth on my
Commodore Amiga.

I have Leo Brodie's fine book, but it doesn't say much about
MVP-Forth.

I can't figure out disk access.  12 list doesn't work like I understand
it should.  The dictionary contains words like open, files, setfile,
filesize, filename, closeall, select, and stuff like that.

Could anyone tell me how to use these?

By the way, I really do know * something * about computers in general.
Forth itself is just new ground for me and my public domain version cam
with NO documentation.

Thanks!

Eric W Sink
ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (10/25/88)

In article <49100001@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I'm using a public domain version of MVP-Forth on my
>Commodore Amiga.

That version of MVP FORTH takes a very different approach to blocks.
Other versions go directly to the disk, while that version uses
block files (a standard operating system file is a sequence of 1024 byte
blocks).  Give MVP a call (415) 961-4103, there's a little packet
of stuff for the Amiga -- including a glossary.  I don't remember
how much it costs, but just ask.
p.s.
Blame me or thank me, as the case may be, for doing that version using
blocks files.

Glenn