[comp.lang.forth] 80386 Forth System

root@chessene.UUCP (This System) (03/04/89)

I've seen very little traffic in this group, and most of it appears to
be people asking "is there a PD version of Forth for X?". Maybe it's not
all getting here. Anyway, I'd like to my add my voice to the chorus of
Forth-seekers:

Is there a version of Forth that will run on an 80386 AT clone, in 32-bit
protected mode? PD, freeware, shareware or commercial are all OK.
(I won't buy a commercial version, but I'd like to know if one exists).

If not, are there people out there who would be interested in such a beast?

Email, and you will be summarized.

thag you very buch

Mark Buda
hermit@chessene.uucp
hermit%chessene.uucp@rutgers.edu
devon.lns.pa.us!chessene!hermit [broken]
...!rutgers!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!chessene!hermit

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (03/07/89)

In article <354@chessene.UUCP>, root@chessene.UUCP (This System) writes:
> Is there a version of Forth that will run on an 80386 AT clone, in 32-bit
> protected mode? PD, freeware, shareware or commercial are all OK.

Sure, it's Mitch Bradley's C Forth 83.  I've reproduced a bit of the README
file below.

It runs OK under Sys V on the 386.  I also sent Mitch some enhancements and
System V-isms, which I hope he integrated.

		    C Forth 83

		Copyright (c) 1986, 1987, 1988
		Bradley Forthware
		P.O. Box 4444
		Mountain View, CA 94040

C Forth 83 is a portable Forth-83 implementation written in C.
So far it has been tested on Suns, VAXen running 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, and VMS,
Amdahl and 3B2 running System V, Ridge running whatever Unix Ridge uses,
IBM mainframes running VM (Waterloo C), and a few other machines.
The C Forth dialect is similar to the Laxen-Perry F83 model.

--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"An expression of deep worry and concern failed to
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	 cross either of Zaphod's faces."  -- Hitchiker's Guide