[comp.lang.forth] 68k SBC with Forth in ROM needed

tom@math.berkeley.edu (04/28/89)

-
I need a single board computer that runs Forth and has at least a 1
megabyte address space.  I am supposing that the greatest variety of boards
will be available with the 68000, but I am open to suggestions.  Oh yeah,
if it costs more than 600, I am not so interested.

thanks,

tom erbe-technical director-center for contemporary music-mills college
         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jif.berkeley.edu

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (04/28/89)

In article <23705@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, tom@math.berkeley.edu writes:
> I need a single board computer that runs Forth and has at least a 1
> megabyte address space.  I am supposing that the greatest variety of boards
> will be available with the 68000 ...
> tom erbe-technical director-center for contemporary music-mills college

Since you're looking for an SBC, I suppose that you're wanting to build
it into something and so my suggestion won't be of any help.  But all
the same, have you looked at the Amiga 500?  With a megabyte you're
probably looking at a bit more than $600, but you will also have a
complete development system.  I see that you're involved with music.  If
by chance you're wanting this SBC for a musical application, again you
might want to look at the Amiga.  JForth is an excellent environment (an
Amiga running JForth was used to win the "World's Fastest Programmer"
contest last year).  With JForth you can also get HMSL (Hierarchical
Music Specification Language, I think).  Only problem is, the Amiga
isn't a single-board computer.

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (04/29/89)

In article <23705@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> tom@math.berkeley.edu () writes:

>-
>I need a single board computer that runs Forth and has at least a 1
>megabyte address space.

	Doesn't everyone? :-)
>  I am supposing that the greatest variety of boards
>will be available with the 68000, but I am open to suggestions.

	Actually, quite a few are 68020's.

>  Oh yeah,
>if it costs more than 600, I am not so interested.

	Tom ... Here at

		Vesta Technology, Inc.
		7100 W. 44th Ave., Suite #101
		Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

	we manufacture SBC's. We also offer custom design, engineering,
programming and CAD services.

	Recently we began development of two boards: 68008 and 68000.
The 68008 is built and has a indirect threaded Forth up and running on
it.

	The 68008 can have 128k ROM and 32 k RAM on board. Off-board
it can have the rest of the Meg address space that comes with the turf;
design your own add-on and use our edge connector. There is an MC68681
duart and a watchdog timer on board.

	The 68000 will have 128k ROM and 64k RAM on board. Again, use
our edge connector and address 16 meg. Our Forth is 32-bit, so all
of that space is code &| data, except reserved segments for various
peripherals and expansion ( i.e., BE0000 decodes to the DUART)

!!!***!!! N.B>	These are not products, yet, for two reasons: We have not
done the documentation, and we are going to switch to direct threaded Forth.

	Direct threaded is a nice compromise: it is faster than indirect
threaded, and much smaller than JSR threaded. We will have a complete
resident system with assembler, decompiler, debugger,multitasker,  and editor
in 64 k of ROM. We already have a host/diskserver for the DOS machines,
and for Amiga shortly. You develop your code using the host's disk
drives as the board's drive, then save the overlay back up to
host disk and burn a ROM which autoboots! That is why 128 k ROM on each
board ... 64k system, 64k for user overlay. User overlays can actually
be larger, if ROM is added to a user-supplied expansion board and decoding
is contiguous with the main overlay ROM.

	These boards will, I believe, sell in the <$200 range.

	Vesta ... we care about the environment ... the Forth environment!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}                                                                        {}
{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{}                                                                        {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (05/02/89)

In article <1081@intvax.UUCP>, bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) writes:
> In article <23705@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, tom@math.berkeley.edu writes:
> > I need a single board computer that runs Forth and has at least a 1
> > megabyte address space.  I am supposing that the greatest variety of boards
> > will be available with the 68000 ...
> > tom erbe-technical director-center for contemporary music-mills college

Single-board computers from DY-4 Systems Inc. have a debug monitor on
board that includes LMI Forth in it.  I've never used the Forth but
those who have tell me it's a pretty decent version.  DY-4 makes
a variety of boards based on 680x0s.  I'll leave it to them to blow
their own horns.  (Yo, DY-4!  Are you there?)

DY-4 Systems Inc.
21 Credit Union Way		1475 S. Bascom Ave.
Nepean, Ontario K2H 9J4		Suite 202
Canada				Campbell, CA 95008, USA
(613) 596-9911			(408) 377-9822

I'm not associated with them; I'm just a formerly dissatisfied
customer who's beginning to come around.

cheers

--
Rick Low
MEL Defence Systems Limited, Ottawa, Canada