[comp.lang.forth] Stack Computers, the new wave

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (06/29/89)

I just finished my first reading of Philip J. Koopman, Jr.'s "Stack Computers,
The New Wave" available from John Wiley & Sons.  I'm only a dilettante
when it comes to Forth and Forth hardware, but this is the best book
I've read about Forth since "Starting Forth".  Mr. Koopman did a great
job of organizing information about the latest developments in Forth
hardware and presenting convincing yet even-handed arguments for their
acceptance.  Although the price was what you'd expect for a hardbound
specialty book ($58), it was worth it to have that much information
collected in one book.  Anyone doing research in this field should at
least get a look at this book and anyone trying to convince their
co-workers to take the Forth path should buy it and pass it around.

If you're out there Mr. Koopman, thank you for the right book at the
right time.

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (07/02/89)

In article <446@mtk.UUCP>, marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
> I just finished my first reading of Philip J. Koopman, Jr.'s "Stack Computers,
> The New Wave" available from John Wiley & Sons.

Thank you for the kind words!

The Forth Interest Group is supposed to be carrying the book soon,
which should make it more available and a little less expensive
(FIG members get 10% discounts on orders the last time I checked).

If anyone out there has comments or brief questions, I would be happy
to correspond via e-mail.  Most questions would probably be appropriate for
general comp.lang.forth distribution.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  5551 Beacon St.
  Pittsburgh, PA  15217
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

sedwards@tybalt.caltech.edu (Stephen A. Edwards) (07/05/89)

The timing of the release of "Stack Computers, the new wave" is almost nearly
perfect. I am currently in the process of building a VLSI stack-based computer
and the information contained in this book appears to be precisely what I'm
looking for. Naturally, this means that I cannot find it at any local
bookstores.

Does anybody know of a bookstore (preferably in the LA area) which has this book
IN STOCK? Any such information would be appreciated.

sedwards@tybalt.caltech.edu

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (07/05/89)

In article <11218@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, sedwards@tybalt.caltech.edu (Stephen A. Edwards) writes:
> Does anybody know of a bookstore (preferably in the LA area) which has this book
> IN STOCK? Any such information would be appreciated.

Sorry, I haven't heard of any.  But, I have three methods you can try.

1) Find the biggest, best technical bookstore in your area, and
   try it.  You're *not* going to find it in a B. Dalton or any
   other chain.  Any bookstore in the US would have it as the
   Halsted press version.  You might try the biggest college bookstore
   in your area.

2) Call the Forth Interest Group, and see if they have a shipment
   in yet.  They are in San Francisco, and can probably get you
   quick turnaround if you convince them you're in a hurry.
   (408) 277-0668.

2) Call John Wiley (who owns Halsted) directly, and order it over
   the phone.  I got 1 week turnaround using this method.  They
   are definitely in stock there.
   (212) 850-6000    Ask for the order department.