[comp.lang.forth] Forth CPU Chips??

stevens@vms.macc.wisc.edu (PAul STevens-MACC) (08/03/89)

I have seen mention of some chips (or chip sets?) that implement Forth
in hardware.  Anybody know
         1) where I can get specifications?
         2) where I can buy the chips?
         3) how much they cost?

Any references to descriptions of complete systems using the chips would
also be very much appreciated.

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (08/05/89)

In article <2166@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, stevens@vms.macc.wisc.edu (PAul STevens-MACC) writes:
> I have seen mention of some chips (or chip sets?) that implement Forth
> in hardware.  Anybody know
>          1) where I can get specifications?
>          2) where I can buy the chips?
>          3) how much they cost?

Well, I just happen to work for Harris, so here's my plug...

The latest ad for the RTX 2000 16-bit stack processor says to
call 1-800-4-HARRIS x1291 to get more information.  You should
be able to get a fairly fat spec booklet that includes an
instruction set description.

Other chips I know of are the SC32 from silicon composers,
the MISC chip from (if it is ready for release yet), the
Novix NC4016 (although they are defunct the last I heard, and
the chip is similar to the RTX 2000).  A company in Germany
sells a 4-bit Forth chip, but you need to order x000 of them
at a time.  There are also some discrete board systems,
and several chips in development.  Costs are not cheap (by
hobbiest standards) for most of these, but I haven't kept
track of the detailed prices.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.