[comp.lang.forth] Forth programmers and names

LANGEVELD@HROEUR5.BITNET (07/24/89)

To add another trivial observation:

As a Dutchman myself, it strikes me how many names of you people
are of Dutch origin.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Koopman, Bouma
and de Groot are definitely Dutch names!

Perhaps it has got something to do with being stubborn. :-)

Henk Langeveld (langeveld@hroeur5.bitnet, henk@cs.eur.nl)

marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (08/03/89)

In article <8907241624.AA04114@jade.berkeley.edu> Forth Interest Group International List <FIGI-L%SCFVM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>As a Dutchman myself, it strikes me how many names of you people
>are of Dutch origin.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Koopman, Bouma
>and de Groot are definitely Dutch names!

My name is indeed Dutch.  I have noticed this myself.

I heard that Dutch (like German) has a sort of "reverse Polish" syntax,
with the verb often placed at the end of a sentence.

Is it true that Forth code can be written which reads pretty close
to "natural language" Dutch?
--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)                   These ARE my employer's opinions!
Noe Systems, San Francisco

RAYBRO%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.COM ("William R Brohinsky", ay) (08/07/89)

Marc-
I am not Dutch, nor German. My heritage is 50% Ukrainian. However, if the
matter of language tendencies is merited, the time I spent learning Latin
in High School (sadly, that school and many others in this country do not
teach it at all, any longer) certainly left its mark. Latin also desires
its verb at the end of the phrase or sentence. It also requires that the
"programmer" match the "type" of adjective or adverb to the noun or verb.
There is no compiler between the programmer and user to catch syntax errors,
and (if you've ever had a conversation with someone from another country
with a third party who knows both languages and interrupts constantly to
correct errors, you know what I'm about to say) the presence of one would
be a real nuisance.

"Natural Language" Dutch is intriguing, but the syntax of Latin was relatively
more double-entendre free (no human language will stay that way for long) in
its classical form. Maybe that would make a good starting place, or a dreadful
and bothersome redirection.

Either way, I lack the linguistic skill to see.
-raybro
If I have an opinion, I am very careful with it. Usually...

gary@softway.oz (Friend of Elvenkind) (08/10/89)

In article <663@noe.UUCP> marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:

>My name is indeed Dutch.  I have noticed this myself.
>
>I heard that Dutch (like German) has a sort of "reverse Polish" syntax,
>with the verb often placed at the end of a sentence.

Not quite.  I don't know about Dutch, but in German the main verb should be
the second idea in the clause.  All auxiliary verbs however go to the end.  If the
sentence is moderately complex you can end up with three, four, or sometimes
five auxiliary verbs at the end.

What strikes me as an even closer resemblence is the way German builds long (huge!)
words out of many small ones.

--
Gary Corby  (Friend of Elvenkind)			Softway Pty Ltd
						ACSnet: gary@softway.oz