[comp.lang.forth] I want a Forth machine

HALDANE@UFPINE.BITNET ("that _special_ Haldane magic...") (08/06/89)

Greetings fellow Forthers,
        I am looking for a small computer that runs Forth, something in the
handheld or laptop style, that is also pretty inexpensive.  I had an HP-41cx,
but that got stolen (grrr), and wasn't really Forthy enough for me.  I have a
nice computer already, and was looking at some of the advanced programmable
calculators, but they either just store keycodes, or run BASIC (blech).  It
would be nice if it could swap data with my desktop unit, but this is not
essential.

RSVP

Bob Slaughter
Haldane@UFPine  <-- Bitnet
Haldane@Pine.circa.ufl.edu  <-- Internet

I don't need a disclaimer, I am unemployed.
:)

fetrow@BLAKE.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (David Fetrow) (08/08/89)

> Any Laptop machines that run Forth?

 An interesting question that. Is there a good FORTH available for
say the Tandy 100? FIG would do.

 It'd be especially nice for that machine since it is pretty memory
limited.

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (08/11/89)

In article <8908091343.AA17383@jade.berkeley.edu> Forth Interest Group International List <FIGI-L%SCFVM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>> Any Laptop machines that run Forth?
>
> An interesting question that. Is there a good FORTH available for
>say the Tandy 100? FIG would do.

	FIG it is. Download FTH100.ARC from the RCFB, number below \/\/\/

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}                                                                        {}
{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{}                                                                        {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

RAYBRO%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.COM ("William R Brohinsky", ay) (08/17/89)

I have an old public domain implementation of forth for the TRS/80-M100 which
I downloaded from a bulletin board about four years ago. It was in 8085
assembly language, for which I had an assembler, and was very poorly
documented (like, not at all...).

How would you like it, when I find it? I can mail it to anyone who sends me
an email, so I have their address. I am loath to use snail mail, and hard-
'copy' versions would be done at a disadvantage to all: I use a chipmunk
3.5" disk (355kb) which is incompatible with both the old and new tandy disk
formats...

I think the best bet would be ascii or uuencoded mail. Then you'd have to
deal with translation and downloading to the M100.

Let me know what you want, and I'll get it on my PC in the mean time.

Note: this is a 'native' implementation, and when it is running, you may
freely overwrite anything in the M100, including (as most good forths allow)
the kernel or M100 o.s. (if such a thing could be called an O.S.).
-raybro
My opinions are considered insignificant enough by my employer that they
don't even take notice anymore...

boyd@hpavla.HP.COM (Bill Boyd) (08/25/89)

>         I am looking for a small computer that runs Forth....

> Bob Slaughter
> Haldane@UFPine  <-- Bitnet
> Haldane@Pine.circa.ufl.edu  <-- Internet

----------
If you have access to CompuServe, there are several Forths for the
Radio Shack/TRS-80/Tandy Model 100/102 in the TANDYLAP SIG.  Just
GO M100SIG, change to LIB 8 (I think!), and SCAN KEY:FORTH.  I think
all are implementations of FIG-Forth.

Alternatively, maybe you can find an HP-71B with a Forth ROM (either
the HP82441 FORTH/Assembler ROM or HP82490A HP-41 TRANSLATOR PAC).
Unfortunately, you'll have to look for a used one;  HP doesn't sell
them any more.

Bill Boyd
(These are my words, not my employer's)

a342@mindlink.UUCP (John McKechnie) (08/27/89)

I would also suggest the TI-99/4A.  It has 2 versions of FIG Forth
available for it, and is much more powerful than the suggested machines.   It's
a 16 bit RISC microprocessor, and has a separate video processor.  TI Forth is
public domain, and source code is easily obtained, for those wanting to play
with it.
A complete /4A system can be had for as little as $300.00.  Several
manufacturers still make peripherals for it, including a hard/floppy disk
controller.  A faster more powerful 9900 based computer is the MYARC Geneve
(aka 9640), a 12 Mhz 9995, with 700+K of memory, and an 80 column screen.
Memory is expandable to 1.5 Meg, in the current version, with a 2 Meg version
in design (a small error in current large scale gate chip prevents the last
500K from being accessed)
All said, for a machine out of production for +5 years, the TI-99/4A is still
alive and well!