[comp.lang.forth] Harris RTX-2001A

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (11/09/89)

In article <1577@ultb.UUCP>, cep4478@ultb.UUCP (C.E. Piggott) writes:
> At the suggestion of a recent posting, I called Harris for my RTX-2001A
> data sheet.  Unfortunately, it makes reference to the RTX2000, specifically:
> 	"The RTX 2001A is a 16 bit microcontroller which is
> 	particularly well suited for very high speed control
> 	tasks which are less arithmetically intensive than
> 	those tasks which require the full capabilities of
> 	the RTX 2000."
> Is the RTX-2000 a forth microprocessor, also?  I feel like if I am
> studying the 2001A, I will be missing half of the picture.

The RTX 2000 was the first 16-bit Forth-based stack processor
from Harris.  It consisted of a core CPU (the stack processor
itself), a hardware multiplier, and a bunch of peripheral stuff.
The RTX 2001 was then introduced, which was simply the RTX 2000
with the hardware multiplier yanked out (so it takes repeated
iterations of a multiply-step instruction to do a multiply).
Beyond that, there is no difference at all.

The RTX 2001A is a new, improved version of the RTX 2001 (again,
without the hardware multiplier).

Since hardware multipliers take a lot of chip space, the RTX 2001A
is a lot less expensive than the RTX 2000. They are similar enough
that you are definitely not missing out on anything, unless you
are pressed for speed doing multiplications.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
My opinions belong to me.

pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) (11/14/89)

The phone number to get the RTX-2001A info is no good in Canada. Anyone
have a number that is good here? Or an address?

    Thanks....   Brad Pepers