[comp.lang.forth] F83 vs F-PC vs ??

lantis@argus.math.orst.edu (11/25/89)

I don't want to start a civil war, but what are the advantages of F83 and
F-PC, and what are the disadvantages of each?  Is one any great improvement
over the other?  What about other public domain forths?  I have tried
uniforth, and it was interesting, but the sampler did not include a
decompiler and the full version was over $250.  The reason I am asking this
is I have F83 version 2.0 and someone I know sent a note saying they had
falling in love with F-PC.  This made me wonder if I was missing something.

From article <13959@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, by lantis@argus.math.orst.edu:
> I don't want to start a civil war, but what are the advantages of F83 and
> F-PC, and what are the disadvantages of each?  Is one any great improvement
> over the other?  What about other public domain forths?  I have tried
> uniforth, and it was interesting, but the sampler did not include a
> decompiler and the full version was over $250.  The reason I am asking this
> is I have F83 version 2.0 and someone I know sent a note saying they had
> falling in love with F-PC.  This made me wonder if I was missing something.

What you are calling F83 v2.0 I believe is what I had downloaded from
SIMTEL20 called F83-88. F-PC is just what was F83-88 renamed and it is
version 2.25 (last time I checked). F-PC 2.25 is available in the
directory PD1:<MSDOS.FORTH> on SIMTEL20.

I am in the process of learning Forth and have kicked around the various
public domain forths and have arrived at F-PC being the best. The
Uniforth smapler was the second best I had looked at.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (11/29/89)

In article <13959@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> lantis@argus.math.orst.edu () writes:
>I don't want to start a civil war, but what are the advantages of F83 and
>F-PC, and what are the disadvantages of each?  Is one any great improvement

	F83 is simpler and built along classical lines. FPC is more
sophisticated and more complicated. Both are complete language systems
in which fine applications have been written.

>over the other?  What about other public domain forths?

	There's no end to them. What about them?

	On the Amiga, I recommend A4TH1.5

>I have tried
>uniforth, and it was interesting, but the sampler did not include a
>decompiler and the full version was over $250.

	UNIFORTH is very interesting, as are other commercial Forths
for the DOS world, including Druma Forth, H/S Forth, LMI Forth, polyFORTH,
and many others.

>  The reason I am asking this
>is I have F83 version 2.0 and someone I know sent a note saying they had
>falling in love with F-PC.  This made me wonder if I was missing something.

	You're missing Turbo Forth.

{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{} jax@well.sf.ca.us                                                      {}