[comp.lang.forth] $10,000 prize for RTX designs

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/01/89)

The newest version of the RTXpress magazine has just been printed,
and contains an RTX 2000 design contest announcement, summarized
here because I believe it will be of general interest.

Real Time Design Contest
Sponsors:  Harris Semiconductor
           Embedded Systems Programming Magazine

The contest: design a neat application using the RTX 2001A.

The process:
  1) Write a proposal for the project.  Deadline April 16, 1990
      (which is closer than you think!).
  2) Harris selects worthy proposals (i.e. ones which aren't sent
      in as a joke or a ploy to get a free system with no
      intention of entering the contest).  With any luck,
      almost all proposals will be "worthy".
  3) Worthy proposals get a free RTX 2001A Evaluation board with
      RTX 2001A chip, EPROM, SRAM, serial port, breadboarding area,
      and a minimal Forth in the EPROM.  No strings attached other
      than a moral obligation to work on your design entry with it.
  4) Submit your design.
  5) Winning designs get prizes, and get shown off at the Second
      Annual Embedded Systems Conference Sept '90 held near
      San Francisco.

$10,000 grand prize, $2000 each for best hardware design and
best software design, $500 for two runners-up, up to 100 other
prizes (and, don't forget, up to 1000 free RTX 2001A special contest
evaluation boards).

That's all the information I have available.  To get a contest entry
kit, call 1-800-4-HARRIS ext. 1300, or write to:
  Harris Semiconductor
  RTX Marketing
  PO Box 883, MS 62A-021
  Melbourne, FL  32902-0883
  USA

Regrettably, there may be some problems with international entries if
technology export restrictions get in the way.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/02/89)

In article <7165@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:
> Real Time Design Contest
> Sponsors:  Harris Semiconductor
>            Embedded Systems Programming Magazine
> The contest: design a neat application using the RTX 2001A.

It turns out that the announcement I saw was for internal
review (although noone told me that!)  So, the folks at the
1-800 number aren't ready to process requests for kits yet.
BUT, YES, there IS a contest.  It has been approved,
and will run just as I described.  Call the 1-800 number
after 12/10 to get your entry kit.  PLEASE don't call
before then, or I'll get more nasty looks from my
boss (it seems that the phone lines were saturated
with calls within 3 hours of my posting).  Meanwhile, I'm sure
that lack of those details won't hamper folks from
thinking about what they can do with a small RTX board.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.
(This is an example of why I put the disclaimer in....)