[comp.lang.forth] Benchmarks wanted

mip@massormetrix.ida.liu.se (Mikael Patel) (12/12/89)

I'am looking for some appropriate benchmarks for a C-based Forth I'am
working on. I have run the sieve benchmark (both versions) and the
fibonacci function and now looking around for some more.

Do you have any others? Please post them!

Also how should we deal with comparison of threading methods, processor,
cache, clock rate, bit-width, etc? Some suggestions? For instance, a
poor threading method (as using C as the implementation language) can
be "compensated" for by using a faster processor e.g. workstation.

Last, how should we construct Forth benchmarks? What properties do we
want to measure? And how can we measure them accuratly?

Mikael R.K. Patel
Researcher and Lecturer
Computer Aided Design Laboratory (CADLAB)
Linkoping University, S-581 83  LINKOPING, SWEDEN

Phone: +46 13281821
Telex: 8155076 LIUIDA S			Telefax: +46 13142231
Internet: mip@ida.liu.se		UUCP: {uunet,mcsun,...}!liuida!mip
Bitnet: MIP@SELIUIDA			SUNET: LIUIDA::MIP

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/12/89)

In article <1475@massormetrix.ida.liu.se>, mip@massormetrix.ida.liu.se (Mikael Patel) writes:
> I'am looking for some appropriate benchmarks for a C-based Forth I'am
> working on. I have run the sieve benchmark (both versions) and the
> fibonacci function and now looking around for some more.
>
> Do you have any others? Please post them!
>
> Also how should we deal with comparison of threading methods, processor,
> cache, clock rate, bit-width, etc? Some suggestions? For instance, a
> poor threading method (as using C as the implementation language) can
> be "compensated" for by using a faster processor e.g. workstation.
>
> Last, how should we construct Forth benchmarks? What properties do we
> want to measure? And how can we measure them accuratly?

Benchmarks are really tough in any language on any processor.
Strictly speaking, sieve and fib are more toys than benchmarks.
They fit completely into cache on almost any machine having
cache, and have a very limited mix of instructions.
Synthetic benchmarks such as Dhrystone aren't very useful,
because they are tuned to conventional languages such as C
and don't make sense as Forth code.

I don't have an answer for you, but you should know that
you are embarking on a long and arduous journey if you
are looking for real, meaningful benchmarks.  This is a problem
that even the conventional computing community has been struggling
with for a long time.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

u803535@lanl.gov (Wayne A. Vieira) (12/14/89)

In article <1475@massormetrix.ida.liu.se> mip@massormetrix.ida.liu.se (Mikael Patel) writes:
>I'am looking for some appropriate benchmarks for a C-based Forth I'am
>working on. I have run the sieve benchmark (both versions) and the

I have been looking for some benchmarks
for C-Forth also.  I have gotten the thing running
on Cray's, and wanted to be able to check it
against other languages available on
UNICOS (Cray Unix)

Thanks in advance,
     Wayne A. Vieira