[comp.lang.forth] Newsgroup Readers

cbbrowne@lion.waterloo.edu (Christopher Browne) (11/30/89)

In article <379@ping.UUCP> gorpong@ping.UUCP (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

>Make that 11.  I read it, but since I don't even know FORTH enough to be
>dangerous I don't dare post.

I guess that I can make it at least 12.  I am a regular reader who
hasn't done enough real coding in Forth to have any strong opinions
that I'm willing to express.

Of course, I think we could count something resembling the real number
of readers.  Every few months they used to run a survey of the number
of readers on each news group.  The backbone machines would run a
program (I can't remember the name, but it kept being reposted & had
some catchy name) that read their users' .newsrc files & sent the data
to some central information repository.  This individual would combine
the stats & publish various lists (including Top 10's and Bottom
10's).  The census was only approximate (estimated based on a bunch of
the larger machines), but gave an idea of readership.  I haven't seen
one of those surveys in a year or two...
Christopher Browne
cbbrowne@watlion
University of Waterloo
ACM Scholastic Programming Contest: Internationals in 1991!!!

ken@key.COM (Ken Kofman) (12/02/89)

I guess I am lucky 13.

ken

Disclamer:  of course it works
ken@samaria.key.com						Ken Kofman
{pacbell|ctnews|mordor|sgi|ernie|amdahl}!key!ken

bjskelly@PacBell.COM (Bruce J. Skelly) (12/07/89)

Me too!

Bruce

jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Kevin Jameson) (12/09/89)

I read this group too, so make it 13 at least.

shri@ccs1.cs.umass.edu (H.Shrikumar{shri@ncst.in}) (12/14/89)

In article <2212@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
(Kevin Jameson) writes:
>I read this group too, so make it 13 at least.

   Really is somebody seriously keeping a count ?
   me too ... so thats 14.

-- shrikumar ( shri@ccs1.cs.umass.edu, shri@ncst.in )