[net.movies] The Big Bus

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (09/29/85)

In article <327@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>"The Big Bus" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" have been added to the
>list of all-time totally bad movies. These will stay on the list unless
>someone can mention something about them (direction, cinematography,
>wit, humour, plot, etc.) that is above mediocre in some way.

I saw The Big Bus several years ago and loved it!  I felt it was like an
early, more down to earth, version of Airplane.  The total casualness with
which some of the characters regarded their situations (like the truck in the
Piano bar) as well as the concepts (a nuclear-rocket powered bus) and the
ludicrous solutions ("Raise flags of all nations!") all contribute to this
movie.  Not to mention (but of course I will) the "James book of Bombs"

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa

kayuucee@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (10/01/85)

> In article <327@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
> >"The Big Bus" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" have been added to the
> >list of all-time totally bad movies. These will stay on the list unless
> >someone can mention something about them (direction, cinematography,
> >wit, humour, plot, etc.) that is above mediocre in some way.
> >

> I saw The Big Bus several years ago and loved it!  I felt it was like an
> early, more down to earth, version of Airplane.  The total casualness with
> which some of the characters regarded their situations (like the truck in the
> Piano bar) as well as the concepts (a nuclear-rocket powered bus) and the
> ludicrous solutions ("Raise flags of all nations!") all contribute to this
> movie.  Not to mention (but of course I will) the "James book of Bombs"
>

> Eric Anderson, UC San Diego {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa

	I agree. This was a good movie that was a little ahead of it's time.
America was not right through with the disaster movie and so a parody of it
would not do too good, even on tv.
	The parts I liked best were:

		1) Ned Beatty coming into the room where the plutonium (or
other such radioactive fuel) was being placed into a protective container.
The waldos were stuck and so the fuel could not not be loaded properly. So,
Beatty walked in without any kind of shielding, walked over and finished

		2) Harold Gould is lying on the ground outside the bus
hanger after and accident. Some medal he was wearing got imbedded into
his chest and he can't (or won't) be moved. That night it begins to rain and
he is still lying out there under some kind of tarp while everyone else is
inside the hanger, dry. The next day when he is needed for something, Gould
pulls the medal out, gets up and goes and does whatever needs to be done.
Of course, he experiences no after effects.

						Ken Crist

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (Cobb) (10/02/85)

> I believe `The Big Bus' was a TV film, which makes it ineligible under
> the original rules. It was a pilot for a series that never made it (and
> they say there is no God...).
>
> Mike Esco

Believe it or not, Mike (Say!  Is that Jack Palance in the corner?),
"The Big Bus" really *was* a theatrical release.  It was one of those
summer films that disappeared almost as fast as it was shown.  I saw
it with some friends; we left in the middle (we had *some* taste, even
for college freshmen!)...

So put that baby back on the "Totally Bad Movies" list!!!

B. K. Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

mls@husky.uucp (Mark Stevans) (10/09/85)

I vote to remove "The Big Bus" from the list of bad movies.  When a movie is
humorous, whether intentional or not, it is not "totally bad".  At the time
of its release, it was an effective parody of the disaster films that were
springing up after the Posedion Adventure made money.  Look at it this way:
given a few six-packs and some popcorn, which would you rather see: "The
Towering Inferno", or "The Big Bus"?

I think that "Silent Night, Deadly Night" belongs at the top of the list of
totally bad movies.  It is my reference "0" on my movie scale.  However,
I think it is possibly interesting from one standpoint: whoever wrote the
screenplay views the depicted flavor of strict Catholic upbringing as being
extremely disgusting, destructive, insane, and hateful.  He then projects this
quite skillfully into a disgusting, destructive, insane, and hateful movie.

Oh, I just remembered something: there was a scene in "SNDN" where this
girl, after making out on a pool table (of all things), walks to the front
door of her house, opens it wide, and stands there, casually exposing herself
topless to a entire suburban street, just to let the cat in.  That scene is so
irreal and ridiculous that it makes it difficult to view the makers of SNDN as
other than

	1.	A bunch of guys fooling around, trying to make history's
		most terrible movie, or
	2.	totally out of touch with reality.

					Mark Stevans
					ritcv!husky!mls

mgh@mtunh.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (10/12/85)

No, no, NOOOOO!  "Big Bus" was one of the great movies of the 60s.
It was far better as a send-up than the Airplane series and really
revealed the disaster genre for what it was, complete with ghoulish
voyeurism.
--
			Marcus Hand	(mtunh!mgh)