[comp.lang.forth] Adventure Authoring Language written in Forth?

stever@tree.uucp (Steve Rudek) (12/14/89)

There are a number of adventure game writing "languages" in existence.  The
ones I'm most familiar with are either standalone languages (commonly
written in C) or language extensions to interpreted LISP.  The LISP-based
languages are more interesting to me since you have the flexibility of
falling back to LISP to deal with kinky conditions which otherwise wouldn't
be supported by the language.  However, interpreted LISP based languages
are slooooooowwww and it seems that the developers eventually are forced
to rewrite their language in C and give up flexibility.

Has anyone seen an adventure authoring language written in Forth?  I have
seen a business language, named Abundance, which was an extension to Forth.
It was kind of neat, it was fast, and you could always fall back to the
Forth kernel if the 4GL nature of the language proved too restrictive.  I've
heard people talk about writing an adventure authoring language in Forth
and I'm wondering if anyone ever followed through?  If so, could I get a
copy of the language?  If not, surely someone has at least written an
actual adventure game in Forth?  Could I get a copy of that?
--
{pacbell!sactoh0! OR ucdavis!csusac!}tree!stever

wmb@SUN.COM (12/15/89)

What I would like to see is an adventure game for learning Forth.
You could have rooms that introduce you to a concept or a word,
which you would need in order to some some immediate or later puzzle.
For instance, you could have a room that puts a new random number
on the stack each time that you type something, and you would have
to DUP it in order to progress.  You could have a ladder with thousands
of rungs, and you would have to write some sort of a loop to climb it.

Mitch

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (12/15/89)

From article <1989Dec14.002536.24437@tree.uucp>, by stever@tree.uucp (Steve Rudek):
> Has anyone seen an adventure authoring language written in Forth?

Electronic Arts' "Adventure Construction Set" was written in Forth.
Darn, I can't remember the author's name.  Someone else will, I'm sure.

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Laboratories

brunjes@rtech.rtech.com (roy brunjes) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec14.002536.24437@tree.uucp> stever@tree.uucp (Steve Rudek) writes:
[ ... lines deleted ... ]
>Has anyone seen an adventure authoring language written in Forth? ...
>I've heard people talk about writing an adventure authoring language in Forth
>and I'm wondering if anyone ever followed through?

Sorry for posting this ... but my mail bounced (again ... 8^(

I believe Electronic Arts had a fellow working for them that produced the
Adventure Construction Set (ACS for short) in Forth for the Amiga.  I didn't
play with the product, but I believe it completely insulated you from the
workings of Forth -- it was all mouse driven, pull icons around on the screen
type of stuff as I recall.  I don't know if that would suit your needs or
not.  Electronic Arts is just south of San Francisco (somewhere! -- I'm
not a CA native and my memory stinks).  Hope this helps.

Roy