[comp.lang.forth] TILE

ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU (Stage Struck) (12/19/89)

Enough. I appreciate the work of whoever to package and distribute the
TILE packages but I don't have time, desire, or operating system to
let me unshell them and look them over.

Please, isn't this the sort of thing that OLIS and Jax are for? to
archive and store such code for people to access on their own time?
I'd like it to stop. I can hardly wait for one of these packages to
start bouncing, then traffic can really get heavy.

Again, I can appreciate the work involved to distribute this, but the
amount of stuff is killing my disk quotas.

Luther
Atkinson@vcuvax.bitnet
Atkinson@ruby.vcu.edu

dunn@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (John Dunn) (12/19/89)

I *like* it when people take the time to upload something timely
and of interest.  If it happens to be something I am not interested
in, I know where the "N" key is.

I also appreicate it when people take the extra time with thier own
projects to make them accessable to others.  It does take going that
extra n miles, and usually out of higher motives than personal profit.
This kind of thing should be encouraged, not dismissed.

-John Dunn

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (12/20/89)

In article <5762@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> dunn@uhccux.UUCP (John Dunn) writes:
>I *like* it when people take the time to upload something timely
>and of interest.  If it happens to be something I am not interested
>in, I know where the "N" key is.

I think you missed the point of the complainer's message.  The same source
code was posted to comp.sources.misc, where it belongs.  This group is not
the place for large source code postings -- that is what the sources groups
are for.  Small postings containing programs are acceptable in most "comp"
oriented groups, but 7-part source postings are not for comp.lang.forth.

Volunatarily restricting big source postings to the sources groups allows
those with tight disk space to get only the messages they want.  The
posting in question should have been replaced with an announcement of
TILE's availability in comp.sources.misc and via uucp/ftp (if available).

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
	  More Columbians are killed by American cigarettes
		 than Americans by Columbian cocaine

lantis@sundance.CS.ORST.EDU (David Lantis) (12/21/89)

I am glad to see something like TILE.  I have a system that I don't have
time to learn the inner workings of, and I want a forth.  TILE is an
option for those in my situation.  Keep up the research.

7811105@TWNCTU01.BITNET (12/23/89)

Sorry, I didn't mean to do so.  But my account on VAX only have 1000
blocks allowed,  I cannot compile TILE FORTH.  If there's anyone who
have do that, can he mail a runnable program to me? I am running on
VAX 8800 , VMS 5.0.