[net.movies] Superman question

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (10/07/85)

<<<<<

I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
Does anyone know where?

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (10/09/85)

In article <6500046@hp-pcd.UUCP> john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) writes:
>I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
>Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
>Does anyone know where?

At the beginning of the movie the boy Clark Kent is racing a train, on
board the train is a young girl (who I believe is Lois Lane), who sees him
and tries to point him out to her mother.  Noel Neill played the mother.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/09/85)

> <<<<<
>

> I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
> Does anyone know where?

She appears in the scene where the young Clark is racing the train to the
crossing.  A young girl on the train looks out the window at the fast
moving boy and make some comment to her mother.  Her mother admonishes
her for telling a fib.  The young girl is, of course, Lois Lane.  Her
mother was played by Noel Neill.

shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (Joel Shprentz) (10/10/85)

> I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
> Does anyone know where?

Noel Neill plays the mother of the little girl on the train who
sees Superman.

--
Joel Shprentz			Phone:  (703) 827-7953
BDM Corporation			Uucp:  {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!shprentz

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/10/85)

In article <6500046@hp-pcd.UUCP> john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) writes:
>I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
>Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
>Does anyone know where?

I think the cameo was cut from the theater version, but when I saw
it on the tube, in the scene where the young Clark is outrunning the
train, they show a couple with a young daughter through the train's window,
and the child is pointing at the boy running alongside the train.

Point-of-view moves to inside the train, where the girl is trying
to get her mother to look, and Noel Neill, the mother, says "Lois Lane,
you've got such an imagination!".  BTW, the father was Kirk Alyn (??),
the original Superman in the old movie serials and his voice in the
radio show.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "It's Reagan's fault.  Everything's Reagan's fault.  Floods...
   volcanoes...  herpes... Reagan's fault." -- Editor Overbeek, Bloom Beacon

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/10/85)

> I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
> Does anyone know where?

She was the woman (mother of the little girl) on the train that the teen aged
Clark Kent outruns. Her husband was played by (damn, can't remember his name)
the original Superman (before George Reeves, in the serials).

Incidentally, the little girl was intended to be Lois Lane, but the line
identifying her was cut. It seems appropriate for the original Superman and
Lois Lane to play the parents of the modern Lois.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Given a choice, most people would rather not be attacked by
 horrid undersea slime creatures."

"NO!"

"Truth hurts."

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (10/10/85)

> I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
> Does anyone know where?

She and her 'little girl' were on the train when Clark Kent, as a
teenager, ran past it.
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (10/14/85)

>> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
>> Does anyone know where?
>Noel Neill plays the mother of the little girl on the train who
>sees Superman.

There have apparently been several different versions of Supe I released, both
to theaters and ABC TV.  When I saw it way back when in the theater, the part
where the girl says "Mommy, look at that man racing the train", and the mom
says "Lois Lane, you do have an active imagination" (or something like that)
was NOT there.  However, in the TV version (expanded in some parts) it was.
I've also seen several TV versions on ABC (some 2-day/4-hour, one 1-day/3-hour).
A friend of mine insisted, though, that he saw the above-mentioned scene in
the theater.
--
					Alan Steinberg
				{ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan

Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
Again???
Nothing up my sleeve... Presto!
Roooooaaaaarrrrrr!!
Wrong hat!
Must be something in the hat!
And now here's something we hope you'll really like!

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/15/85)

> I was reading a TV trivia book about Superman and it mentioned that Noel
> Neill (Lois Lane) made an unbilled cameo appearence in the Superman movie.
> Does anyone know where?
>
> John Eaton
> !hplabs!hp-pcd!john

   In the Smallville, KS scene (filmed in Canada) where young Clark Kent
races a train, a young Lois Lane is riding the train and sees him.  Noel
Neill played her mother/aunt/grandmother (I don't remember) who told her
she had too much imagination or something like that.

   --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
   -- aka Steve Howard,  ...udenva!showard
     "They pelted us with rocks and garbage"

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/15/85)

> From:	pedsgd!bobh	(Bob Halloran)

> BTW, the father was Kirk Alyn (??),
> the original Superman in the old movie serials and his voice in the
> radio show.

Right on the first, wrong on the second. Bud ("To Tell the Truth") Collyer
provided the voice for Superman on radio, and also, I believe, for the
cartoons (definitely on the cartoons that were produced in the 60's; I'm
not sure on the Max Fleischer cartoons).
	I don't remember if I mentioned it in my previous posting on this
subject, but Noel Neill played Lois opposite to Alyn's Superman for the
serials. She wasn't the original Lois for the tv series though. Phyllis
Coates started out as Lois Lane on tv, eventually being replaced by Neill.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA