[comp.lang.forth] ForthNet Info/Batching

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (12/22/89)

Hello all,
	I'm going to go on vacation soon, so tonight's ForthNet articles
will be the last batch to go out before I leave.  I'll be back on 12/31,
but may not get around to resuming posting until 1/1.
	Two people (out of 16?) have mentioned batching ForthNet articles.
It may be a bit premature to make that decision.  Tonights posts seem to
have much higher technial content.  I can certainly do batching if that
is what the majority of the people want, since I am doing this to serve
the comp.lang.forth community.
	Post or mail me your thoughts on this.  I'll read it all when I
get back.
		Happy Holidays,
			Doug

---
Fastest: willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
...!{uunet,nfsun,sei}!willett!dwp

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (12/27/89)

In article <77.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP> dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) writes:
>	Two people (out of 16?) have mentioned batching ForthNet articles.
>It may be a bit premature to make that decision.  Tonights posts seem to
>have much higher technial content.  I can certainly do batching if that
>is what the majority of the people want, since I am doing this to serve
>the comp.lang.forth community.

I prefer a non-digested format.  When each ForthNet posting is in a separate
article, I can use rn's "kill" to kill subjects I'm not interested in.

In a digest, I'd have to look at the article anyway (no, rn's ^G [search for
next subject in a digest] isn't equivalent).

Those who don't want to see any of the ForthNet articles can put the posting
address (or site!) in their kill files.

If you're reading this via the mailing list, well, you don't have these
luxurys.  So why don't you get on a real news system?  Heck, I even have
news on my PC clone running Minix (oops! Sorry.. forgot that it's not
written in Forth so it's no good).

Brian Reid reports that there are a few more than 16 comp.lang.forth readers...
(want to talk about "noise"?  How about your stupid "readership poll"???!).

From: reid@decwrl.DEC.COM (Brian Reid)
Newsgroups: news.lists
Subject: USENET Readership report for Nov 89

This is the full set of data from the USENET readership report for Nov 89.
Explanations of the figures are in a companion posting.

       +-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
       |     +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
       |     |     +-- Propagation: how many sites receive this group at all
       |     |     |      +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
       |     |     |      |     +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
       |     |     |      |     |      +-- Crossposting percentage
       |     |     |      |     |      |    +-- Cost ratio: $US/month/reader
Rank   |     |     |      |     |      |    |       +-- Share: % of newsreaders
 |     |     |     |      |     |      |    |       |   who read this group.
 V     V     V     V      V     V      V    V       V
338  8000   350   97%   109  294.5     2%  0.07    1.3%  comp.lang.forth

to say nothing about the mailing list members.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  ncoverby@ndsuvax, overby@plains (Bitnet)