[comp.lang.forth] FIG Membership cost

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (01/06/90)

In article <95.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP> ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
>F.SERGEANT [Frank]

> [...] I still think it is
>possible that the CHANGE from $15/year to $30/year may have something to do
>with the declining membership, and especially affect our ability to reach the
>"younger generation."  Of course $30 is not a major barrier to professionals
>working in Forth who already understand the value of Forth.  But, aren't we
>trying to get the ones who aren't sure yet, ... before they become sure of C

I dropped my FIG membership when they hiked it's price.  That was at least
three years ago, if not more.  I had been a member for several years,
although I never contributed anything, and I found that I was getting less
and less out of each issue.  Then the price went up.  I quit.

A few months ago I was filling out my ACM Student Membership application,
and I started wondering why FIG doesn't give students a break?  ACM
certainly gives a big price break.  There also was a lot of turmoil over
student membership rates a while back: they doubled it from $15 and lost a
lot of students!  It's now back down to $20.

While I'm posting, I'll digress from my Subject add a few comments on Why I
think Forth Isn't Popular in the Common Language Marketplace.

I think a BIG one is that Forth is not taught at the College level.  I
wonder how many college graduates (in CS/EE fields) have ever HEARD of Forth?
Much less learned it (or had the opportunity to).

So why don't academics use Forth?  Well, it doesn't *come with* things like
data structures (or something that resembles a Pascal record or C struct).
Forth also doesn't have some facility for Object Oriented Programming *built
in*.  Yes, half of OOP is how you actually write the program, but Forth
doesn't have anything to FORCE you to do things a certain way.  Thats good
and bad (the same can be said about C).

In fact, I've never seen a good implimentation of data structures in forth
(and thats one big reason I don't use Forth anymore).  Anybody want to see
me stick my foot in my mouth?  Show me a good Forth data structure.

As for object oriented programming: why is Smalltalk so popular?  It seemed
to me to be a Forth system with a substantial number of man-years in it.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)