[comp.lang.forth] Category 2, Topic 5

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/08/90)

Message 179       Sun Jan 07, 1990
L.MERRICK                    at 09:32 PST

OK, dumb question of the day time.  I've been programming in FORTH for 10+
years in the Z80 environment.  (FORTH83 under UniFORTH.)  Now I have a MS-DOS
machine (read AT clone) and am unable to  wend my way through  the maze of
FORTH's for it.

I actually USE floating point and I like an editor that I can fully
customize.  I'm used to writing code in block format.  What is out there that
doesn't require 200 hours of construction to get running under MS-DOS?
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated program.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/08/90)

Message 180       Sun Jan 07, 1990
NMORGENSTERN [Leonard]       at 15:16 EST

L.MERRICK writes:

 LM> OK, dumb question of the day time.

 The only dumb questions are those asked by a student who wants to show how
clever he is. (Not sexist: most students who do that are male)

 LM> I've been programming in FORTH for 10+ years in the Z80
 LM> machine (read AT clone) and am 3unable to  wend my way through
 LM> the maze of FORTH's for it.
 LM>
 LM> I actually USE floating point and I like an editor that I can fully
 LM> customize.  I'm used to writing code in block format.  What is out there
that
 LM> doesn't require 200 hours of construction to get running under MS-DOS?

 I always recommend F83 as a starting Forth. F83 is "clean, " well-documented,
and reasonable-sized. It is powerful enough that you may never need another
Forth. You should have little trouble converting from a Z80 machine. Its
disadvantages are that 1) it is limited to 64K; 2) uses the old DOS 1.x calls;
and 3) has a line-oriented editor, so you cannot zip around with the cursor
keys.

 There are several floating point packages that are compatible with F83. I
can't say which is best. Maybe someone else can help you.

 Good luck. If you have questions, post them.
-----