[comp.lang.forth] Book on Writing a Forth Interpreter

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jaxon) (01/10/90)

Hello all...

  I am beginning my Senior Project here, which is to put a Forth
interpreter into a 12k rom space, hopefully along with a simple
disk filing system.  Can someone recommend a good book on programming
a basic Forth system?

Thanks,

--
-- John

      EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | /earth is 98% full; please
      jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        | delete any person you can.

dunn@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (John Dunn) (01/10/90)

In article <25aac6b9.6e3a@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU writes:
>disk filing system.  Can someone recommend a good book on programming
>a basic Forth system?

The best ones I know of are by Dr Ting, charmingly written in Tinglish.
"Inside f83", and "Systems Guide to Fig-Forth".  Ting has been a major
player in the Forth commuinty in the past, although I haven't heard
from him lately.  The phone number listed in his book is 415-674-8250.
Perhaps someone on the net has a more current number.

Ting's books break down each word, commenting on the what and why
of everything.  Not a book to learn how to use Forth, but verry,
very good at teaching you how to build Forth, how to understand it.

-John Dunn