[comp.lang.forth] ForthNet articles backlogged.

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (01/04/90)

I've finally collected all the ForthNet articles that were posted while
I was on vacation.  Because of the volume of the articles, I'll be
releasing them in small chunks over the next couple of days.

You've all probably seen Lee Brotzman's message by now.  It is not now, nor
was it ever either Gary Smith's or my intent to inundate comp.lang.forth
with garbage.  It is not feasible to automatically forward every ForthNet
message into here.  I have been personally examining each message to try to
decide if it is appropriate to forward.  If I've been letting too much chaff
in, let me know.  One thing that I will not do is edit the contents of a
message.  Either it makes it whole or not at all.  (There are both personal
philosophical and technical reasons for this).  Sometimes this means that
a posting with forth info in it will also contain some fluff.  I try to
forward only postings that have some forth related content.  I may occasionally slip up (it's rumored that I'm only human, but... ;-)
As I am doing this as a service to the forth community, I'm very open to
suggestions as to how to help ForthNet grow as painlessly as possible, but 	I also realize that no growth of any significance will ever be totally painless.

		-Doug

P.S. If none of the addresses below work, as a last resort you can try:
		    dwp@cs.cmu.edu

---
Fastest: willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
...!{uunet,nfsun,sei}!willett!dwp

ZMLEB@SCFVM.BITNET (Lee Brotzman) (01/05/90)

Doug Philips <willett!dwp@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:

>You've all probably seen Lee Brotzman's message by now.  It is not now, nor
>was it ever either Gary Smith's or my intent to inundate comp.lang.forth
>with garbage.  ...
>As I am doing this as a service to the forth community, I'm very open to
>suggestions as to how to help ForthNet grow as painlessly as possible, but  I
> also realize that no growth of any significance will ever be totally painless.
>
>  -Doug

   Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.  The problems I having supporting the
recent ForthNet traffic is simply a matter of volume, not content.  I don't
think I can justify the computer time to process the list, even if every
message was a priceless gem (and they weren't before, so how could I expect
them to be now?).
   I will suggest this, however: pare down the wide range of topics that
is being taken from ForthNet to a more limited focus, at least at first.
Let GEnie and the PC BBS's open conferences/topics that are dedicated to
comp.lang.forth messages.  Post all of comp.lang.forth to these individual
areas on ForthNet, and extract replies only from those areas.
   This will cut don on the "cross-talk" I have noticed in some of the
ForthNet messages, and has the added advantage of allowing users on GEnie and
the PC BBS's to skip the comp.lang.forth areas completely if they so desire.
Also, you won't have to manually review the ForthNet traffic, Doug.
   After this is up and running smoothly, perhaps then the connection can
branch out into other areas, either through some automatic cross-posting
function, or some other means.

   About me dropping support for FIGI-L... no one has yet come forward to
offer to take over the regular mailing list, although I have had one offer
to help with the Digests.  Our machine is going to be moved between
buildings sometime in February, and so, it will be down for a period of
at least a week.  If nobody volunteers for the FIGI-L Moderator's job by
then, I can not guarantee that FIGI-L will be active when the IBM 3081
is plugged in again.
   Like Walter Cronkite used to say, "...and that's the way it is."

-- Lee Brotzman (FIGI-L Moderator)
-- BITNET:   ZMLEB@SCFVM
-- Internet: zmleb@scfvm.gsfc.nasa.gov

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (01/07/90)

In article <9001042128.AA21456@jade.berkeley.edu> ZMLEB@SCFVM.BITNET (Lee Brotzman) writes:
>Doug Philips <willett!dwp@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:
>>
>>You've all probably seen Lee Brotzman's message by now.  It is not now, nor
>>was it ever either Gary Smith's or my intent to inundate comp.lang.forth
>>with garbage.  ...
>
>   Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.  The problems I having supporting the
>recent ForthNet traffic is simply a matter of volume, not content.  I don't
>think I can justify the computer time to process the list, even if every
>message was a priceless gem (and they weren't before, so how could I expect
>them to be now?).

	Logged on today ... 108 new messages in comp.lang.forth.

	Folks, we gotta talk about this.

	This is a problem long forseen. Here's what is happening:

	First came ECFB and WCFB. Then NCFB BCFB and RCFB, all exchanging
message bases with their PCBoard-based networking software. There remain
of these three: ECFB, BCFB, and RCFB, but these three now network around
the world their FORTH conference via MetroLink.

	THEN >>> Came GEnie Forth Interest Group RoundTable. 16 Categories
featuring hundreds of topics. These started being fed indiscriminately
into the xCFB ForthNet. As SYSOP of RCFB, I was forced to drop a networked
conference to keep from drowning under the load, but I kept most of them.

	Now this chatty, anarchic mishmosh is being ported to the Net.

	The sysops of GEnie are open to suggestion. (Ruffer, you getting
this?)

	MY  SUGGESTION :::

	ONE SINGLE SOLITARY ported GEnie conference to comp.lang.forth,

	If you want to have multiple threads, we're going to have to
switch to software that supports this (not available on GEnie)
such as AKCS which runs under System V, which allows different
threads from one usenet group to appear as different BBS topics.

	BUT AS IT IS THIS IS OUT OF HAND! Right? HuH? Woof!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{} jax@well.sf.ca.us                                                      {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Please. Please. Let's have a comp.org.forthnet or comp.lang.forth.forthnet
or a genie.* or some OTHER newsgroup to stick all these BBS folks' postings
into?
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \ Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>

From article <15395@well.UUCP>, by jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr):

> 	MY  SUGGESTION :::
>

> 	ONE SINGLE SOLITARY ported GEnie conference to comp.lang.forth,

How about comp.lang.forth.genie instead?

As for the increased forth oriented articles, I like it. Unfortunately,
I don't have the time to read all of the messages anymore.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
				|%|UUCP: uunet!frith!dale1!jhl	   	Work
				|%|      uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl 	Home
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (01/08/90)

I for one am glad to see the traffic.  comp.lang.forth has
been nearly dead several times in the past year or so.

However, the "catagory X topic Y" subject
headings are driving me nuts!  I don't mind the traffic
as long as I can sort through the subjects without having
to read all the messages.  Can the porting program be
trained to replace these with something meaningful somehow?

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/18/90)

In article <IG+O67ggpc2@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Please. Please. Let's have a comp.org.forthnet or comp.lang.forth.forthnet
>or a genie.* or some OTHER newsgroup to stick all these BBS folks' postings
>into?
>--
> _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
>/      \ Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>
>\_.--._/
>      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'
    ^

    --------  I'll bite, what is it?

Peter, I like the extra traffic.  When I last checked in here, two
weeks of postings could be counted on both hands.  Today there were
over a hundred articles waiting, lots of them literate, pertinent, and
interesting.

It would be nice, though, if the person doing the gatewaying would
select out personal notes and articles pertinent only to GEnie
subscribers ("what is GEnie file XXX ?" type questions aren't very
interesting to USENet readers).

Welcome, GEnie folks.  I hope our postings are being gatewayed back to
you!

--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us  xanthian@ads.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

gja@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Inspector Gadget) (01/19/90)

In article <10491@saturn.ADS.COM> xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) writes:
>In article <IG+O67ggpc2@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>> _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
>>/      \ Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>
>>\_.--._/
>>      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'
>    ^
>    --------  I'll bite, what is it?

It's a map of that wonderful chunk of earth, Australia.

Grenville Armitage

--
"Only dead fish go with the flow" - someone else.
To be arrogant you need to have opinions. Therefore these