[comp.lang.forth] Machine vision

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/22/90)

 Date: 02-19-90 (17:24)              Number: 447
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: BOB JENNER                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: CHARACTER RECOGNITION         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I'm looking for guidance, references, etc. about character
 recognition.  I'm considering a job whose principal technical nut
 to crack is identifying parts by scanning 1 to 3 digit numbers
 printed on them.
 .
 The numbers are printed in block letters roughly 1/4 inch high,
 on background zones of different, and generally contrasting
 colors.  On some parts there is some, but not a lot, of
 background clutter in the form of lines cutting behind the
 numbers, or color changes behind the numbers.  Variation in
 placement of the numbers on the parts can run to 1/8 inch or so.
 .
 The (prospective) customer would like to do this at 5 per second.
 The parts will be stopped during the scan, though.
 .
 The font may vary from production run to production run, but will
 be constant during any given run.
 .
 Anybody offer recommendations in the way of references, hardware
 and / or software?  Or a sanity / reality check: is this pushing
 the state of the art, or is it pretty do-able?  Is there anybody
 who has done something similar and who might be interested in
 consulting on the character recognition?

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/22/90)

 Date: 02-20-90 (23:05)              Number: 449 (Echo)
   To: BOB JENNER                    Refer#: 447
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: CHARACTER RECOGNITION         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 BJ>Anybody offer recommendations in the way of references, hardware
 BJ>and / or software?  Or a sanity / reality check: is this pushing
 BJ>the state of the art, or is it pretty do-able?  Is there anybody
 BJ>who has done something similar and who might be interested in

 You might want to check with Gary Betts, formerly of Saba Corp.
 He worked on the Forth system for their OCR scanner.  The last
 number I have for him is 303-924-9193 (hope he doesn't mind me
 posting it).
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.10 #214s
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/25/90)

 Date: 02-24-90 (02:28)              Number: 1602 (Echo)
   To: JOHN SOMERVILLE               Refer#: 1597
 From: GENE LEFAVE                     Read: NO
 Subj: BAR CODES, CAD, IMAGE INT     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 To completely describe our system would be a bit much.
 Suffice it to say that we install library circulation
 systems.  As far as data entry goes the operators either
 key in the data or, more commonly, we convert the data
 from other sources.
 .
 The barcode number we use represents the internal record
 number for each item in the file.  Sometimes we are forced
 to use an existing alphanumeric, the problem with alphas
 is that the codes are longer and hence more error prone.
 We like to use code "I 2 of 5" because it is shorter then
 code 39.
 .
 We starter using the Computer Identics wand because it
 could append a preamble to each bar, which was the FORTH
 word to execute.  Buying from them is like pulling hens
 teeth.
 .
 We switched to Intermec and use both the portable 9440 ($)
 and the desktop wedge readers.  We wrote all of the programs.
 The internal 9440 programs are in a bizarre language called
 IRL.  You need a program called PC-IRL to program it. All of
 the host programs are in FORTH.
 .
 The INTERMEC wands seem to read more reliably then the
 Computer Identics.  We print  bars with our own programs
 on dot matrix printers, and the Intermec thermal
 printer (very nice but hard to use).  The only major problem
 we had is when a customer mislabelled about %10 of the
 items.  It took us about 3 months to track this down.
 .
 Intermec is located in Lynnwood Wash. so its not far from you.
 Their number is 206 348 2700, Canada Service is 604 683 7226.

 ---
  ~ EZ-Reader 1.13 ~
-----