[net.movies] Yes, even yet another Totally Bad Movie

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (10/15/85)

My, oh, my, how soon we forget.  I would have thought that by now
somebody would have mentioned this movie as being "worthy" of
the Totally Bad label (which it richly deserves).

I am speaking of the movie "Megaforce".  Remember it?  Not many people
saw it in first release (a "one-week wonder" in 1980).  It was advertised
on the back of comic books for six straight months, and not even the
little kids were taken in by it.  It made a brief foray into pay movie
channels, but quickly died there, too.  *Nobody* could stand watching it.
It was *that* bad!!!

"Megaforce" was the name of a secret super-motorcycle-riding assault
team led by Ace Hunter (Barry Bostwick, "badly miscast" (L. Maltin)).
Persis Khambatta played the Mysterious Woman, and someone terrible
played the Villain.  All truly forgettable performances.

They tried to be Space-Age GI Joes, and it just didn't work.
They had super-powered cycles that shot missiles and could fly.
They had a hokey motto, "Deeds Not Words".
And the end of the movie featured the lamest good-guy line I've ever heard:
   Ace Hunter turns to the camera and says:
	"And remember, the good guys still win, even in the Eighties."

The stunts were contrived and boring.  The acting was embarrassing.
The cinematography was sometimes laughable.  There's actually a love
scene between Hero and Woman during a free fall!  A parachutist was
filmed on descent by a fellow jumper, and Our Hero was "videoed" onto
the screen, much like a TV weatherman in front of the national map.
He was transparent at times, and, well, you get the idea...

We're talking no redeeming value here.  Sure, it would be unintentionally
funny for a few scenes, but then you just felt sick about it and would
clamor to get away!  BARF!!!
This should get a unanimous vote for Totally Bad.  If it doesn't, I will
be very surprised... (well, I'm waiting... :-)
David C. Tuttle             "Life is just a parade of Republicans and meat."
Computer Science Dept.                                  -- Zippy the Pinhead
University of Washington
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (10/16/85)

> My, oh, my, how soon we forget.  I would have thought that by now
> somebody would have mentioned this movie as being "worthy" of
> the Totally Bad label (which it richly deserves).
>
> I am speaking of the movie "Megaforce".  Remember it?  Not many people

[...]
[Good review here, find it and read it!]
[...]
> We're talking no redeeming value here.  Sure, it would be unintentionally
> funny for a few scenes, but then you just felt sick about it and would
> clamor to get away!  BARF!!!
> This should get a unanimous vote for Totally Bad.  If it doesn't, I will
> be very surprised... (well, I'm waiting... :-)
> David C. Tuttle             "Life is just a parade of Republicans and meat."
> Computer Science Dept.                                  -- Zippy the Pinhead
> University of Washington
> {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

I'll give it the totally bad movie award, with _Hercules_ as a
close second.  In case you missed this wonder, (I wonder why I ever
saw it) it starred Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk) as the big H.
Nothing in this movie was good.  You name it, and it sucked.  Don't
even waste a dollar to rent it on video tape.

--

                         --Kevin Chu
                         ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (10/17/85)

Surprised no one has mentioned Private School, the movie that
tried to be soft porn & failed at even that...
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!ccrrick)

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (10/17/85)

Dave Tuttle writes:
>....."Megaforce" was the name of a secret super-motorcycle-riding assault
>team led by Ace Hunter (Barry Bostwick, "badly miscast" (L. Maltin)).
>Persis Khambatta played the Mysterious Woman, and someone terrible
>played the Villain.  All truly forgettable performances.

more criticism, mostly deserved.........

>this should get a unanimous vote for Totally Bad.  If it doesn't, I will
>be very surprised... (well, I'm waiting... :-)

Acutally, this film had a few very good moments, like the look on
Gurrera's face when MF comes over the mountain BEHIND him rather than
across the lake bed in front of him..... These moments should disqualify
the movie from the worst-of-all-time list, at least in my opinion.

However, I nominate one of Bo Derek's films: Bolero.  This is the only
movie I have ever walked out on.  Also, I nominate Metalstorm: The
Destruction of Jehryd Syn(sp?) This was a 3-D job that came out about
2 years ago, and it STANK!
--
     --Stormcrow		o
			        |    |  |

Never sit with your   		|
back facing a window		|
or door.			o  	     [Standard Disclaimer applies]

		--- Lazarus Long.

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/18/85)

In article <341@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:

>However, I nominate one of Bo Derek's films: Bolero.  This is the only
>movie I have ever walked out on.  ...

I didn't walk out on this movie, but I should have.  I was thinking all
the way through the movie that something meaningful must eventually come
out of is movie.  I don't think there is anything good to be said about
Bolero.  It was a horrible movie: awful acting (I shouldn't call it acting),
stupid story (or at least in the movie the story turned out very starange);
I don't know who directed this movie, but I wouldn't want to see my name
on the credits of this one.

If you want to see bad acting with a really stupid story, go see this
movie (you don't have to go too far; it's on cable now).