[net.movies] re death race 2000

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (10/16/85)

	I like "Death Race 2000", I think it was a clever cheap movie.
It's premise was new and original, and it's point system has spawned
an amusing addition to our driving culture. How many points do you get
for hitting a pregnant nun pushing a shopping carriage, without disturbing
the carriage?
	Anyway, the totally bad list should not include it.

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (10/18/85)

In article <439@npois.UUCP> jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) writes:

>	I like "Death Race 2000", I think it was a clever cheap movie.
>It's premise was new and original, and it's point system has spawned
>an amusing addition to our driving culture. How many points do you get
>for hitting a pregnant nun pushing a shopping carriage, without disturbing
>the carriage?
>	Anyway, the totally bad list should not include it.

Yes, we use the point system out here (my high score: 4,830 in 1985).

The spoof on Howard Cossell (sp?) is funny too.  Plus the total casualness
with which the characters deal with the concept of running people down.  And
then there's the nursing home...

(technicality - yes, it's in. Race officials are fair game)

I'd love to see it again.

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego         {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa
Home: (619)453-7315       Work: (619)586-1201       White House: (202)456-1414

martys@ISM780.UUCP (10/18/85)

I saw Death Race 2000 as part of a triple feature at a drive-in back in
high school.  I, too, feel that it should not be part of the WORST MOVIE
list.  It was amusing, and we got a laugh out of it.

The movie that was shown after Death Race, though was bad.  It was They Came
From Within.  I nominate this for the WORST MOVIE list.  We are talking this
movie is bad.

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (10/18/85)

Not only does "Death Race 2000" have a cute premise, but
it also gave Rambo-lovers a sneak preview 8-10 years
before the fact:

Scene: up to the starting line drives Sylvester Stallone
with his navigator in the passenger's seat and several
automatic weapons in the glove compartment.  After being
soundly booed by the audience, he stands up in his seat,
and taking a machine gun under each arm, proceeds to
empty their contents into the grandstands.  This demonstration,
accompanied by authentic Rambo-style facial contortions, made
the entire movie worth watching.

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group