[comp.lang.forth] Time to sell Forth Dimensions?

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/07/90)

 Date: 04-04-90 (13:54)              Number: 142 (Echo)
   To: STEVE PALINCSAR               Refer#: 137
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: 04-06-90 (08:37)
 Subj: FIG                           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >2) Quite some time ago now -- almost a year, as I recall, I asked for a
 >public financial accounting.  Jack Brown said he'd look into it.  Then
 >there were problems with weather, earthquakes, god knows what, maybe
 >even outer space aliens [to be Presidential about this, "I can't
 >remember"] -- but I still have not seen a public balance sheet for FIG.
 >Come on, guys -- this isn't the Black budget, or CIA appropriations

 At the Spring 89 board meeting a motion was passed for the Treasurer
 John Hall to prepare a couple of proposals for the format of a
 fininacial summary to be published in Forth Dimensions.  Unfortunately
 the FIG Board does not meet as often as we would like with time and
 space separating us.  I presume the final decision on the format for the
 financial statement and when it will be published will be made at the
 next FIG Board meeting which I understand will be sometime soon.

 As a FIG Board member I get regular monthly very detailed financial
 statements and I can assure you that FIGs modest funds and income are
 well managed.  If you have real concerns that you would like me to
 discuss leave me you phone number and I will call you.

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/07/90)

 Date: 04-06-90 (08:38)              Number: 143 (Echo)
   To: JACK BROWN                    Refer#: 142
 From: STEVE PALINCSAR                 Read: NO
 Subj: FIG                           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Jack, I have one real concern, and one only: in organizations like FIG,
 Citizens Associations, Bicycle Clubs, etc., the members are entitled to
 regular financial statements.  We haven't been getting them.
 Personally, I could care less about what the dollars and cents are; I
 just care that there be some public accountability to the membership.
 It ain't the money, it's the principle of the thing, that bothers me.
 And space considerations notwithstanding, I think that to go from the
 spring of '89 until the spring of '90 because of hesitancy about the
 format of a financial statement is a wee bit excessive: it's not like
 there's a whole lot of need for creativity or originality here; every
 organization I belong to does this.  Copy somebody!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/09/90)

Category 8,  Topic 25
Message 8         Sat Apr 07, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:19 EDT

Re: STEVE PALINCSAR

No matter how much I morally agree with you Steve, the FIG bylaws do not
require us to publish annual or financial reports:

        Article XIV: Records and Reports
        Section 4. Annual report to members

"The Annual Report to Members referred to in the California Nonprofit
Corporation Law is expressly dispensed with, but nothing in these Bylaws shall
be interpreted as prohibiting the Board of Directors from issuing annual or
other periodic reports to the members of the corporation as they consider
appropriate.  However, the corporation shall provide to the directors, and to
those members who request it in writing, within one hundred twenty (120) days
of the close of its fiscal year, a report containing the following information
in resonable detail:

  (1)  The assets and liabilities, including the trust fund, of the
        corporation as of the end of the fiscal year.

  (2)  The principle changes in assets and liabilities, including
        trust funds, during the fiscal year.

  (3)  The revenue or receipts of the corporation, both unrestricted
        and restricted to particular purposes for the fiscal year.

  (4)  The expenses or distributions of the corporation for both
        general and restricted purposes, during the fiscal year.

  (5)  Any information required by California Corporations Code
        section 6322."

At this point, we have not determined what we "consider appropriate", but we
have decided that some report is nessessary. We will publish it as soon as we
decide on the format.  If you, or anyone else is in need of the information, a
simple letter to FIG will get you the information.

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/12/90)

 Date: 04-09-90 (16:00)              Number: 146 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 144
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FINANCIAL STATEMENT           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >appropriate.  However, the corporation shall provide to the directors,
 >those members who request it in writing, within one hundred twenty (120
 >of the close of its fiscal year, a report containing the following info
 >in resonable detail:
 >
 >  (1)  The assets and liabilities, including the trust fund, of the
 >        corporation as of the end of the fiscal year.
 >
 >  (2)  The principle changes in assets and liabilities, including
 >        trust funds, during the fiscal year.
 >
 >  (3)  The revenue or receipts of the corporation, both unrestricted
 >        and restricted to particular purposes for the fiscal year.
 >
 >  (4)  The expenses or distributions of the corporation for both
 >        general and restricted purposes, during the fiscal year.
 >
 >  (5)  Any information required by California Corporations Code
 >        section 6322."

 It would seem that any member could request the above financial
 statement in writing and then post it to the electronic network if they
 so pleased.

 As a board member I have promised to not to disclose the detailed
 information that is sent to me each month so what we need is a member of
 FIG who is not a member of the Business Group or the Board to request
 the above financial statement.

 If anyone out there in computer land is prepared to do this please send
 me a copy of the letter.   This may just be the extra straw we need to
 get some action on the publication of financial statements for FIG.

 Send you request to FIG Headquarters with a copy to

 Jack Brown
 c/o Mathematics Department
 British Columbia Institute of Technology
 3700 Willingdon Ave
 Burnaby BC
 V5G 3H2, Canada