[comp.lang.forth] FIG Publishing

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/03/90)

 Date: 04-30-90 (09:45)              Number: 3177 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG PUBLISHING                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        Re: THINKING FORTH

        Miller Freeman Publications, (Unix Review, Embedded Systems
 Programming, Computer Language, AI Expert, ...) is starting a book
 publishing house.

        They should be approached.

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/03/90)

 Date: 05-01-90 (16:56)              Number: 3179 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: NONE
 From: CHRIS WATERS                    Read: NO
 Subj: FIG PUBLISHING                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Dennis,
    I am truly saddened to hear that 'Thinking Forth' is going out of
 print.  I have owned a copy since the first printing. (Now I'm going to
 go dig it out from under the piles of books and papers on my desk and
 give it an honored spot on my bookshelf, in hopes of increasing its life
 expectancy.)  I understand your concerns with FIGs ability to afford the
 rights.

    The only thing I can suggest is that you take advantage of publicity
 surrounding the release of the ANSI standard (whenever that is) to drum
 up general public interest in this excellent book. If you generate
 enough interest, you might be able to justify aquiring the rights, or be
 able to persuade the original publishers that they should re-issue it.
 In any event, I wish you luck.  It would be a genuine tragedy if this
 fine book were lost to the Forth community.

 Chris

 -> MegaMail(tm) #0:~ Banana 2000jr. Support Conference Host
    1.13

 PCRelay:SNAKEPIT -> RelayNet (TM)
 4.10a14             The Snake Pit - (408)287-2353 - San Jose, CA

 NET/Mail : DC Information Exchange, MetroLink Int'l Hub.  (202)433-6639
-----

 Date: 04-30-90 (00:40)              Number: 3183 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: 3162
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG PUBLISHING                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

   >why not let CH Ting do it, he seems to put out all kinds
   >of stuff in cheap bindings

 A good reason to have someone *other* than Ting do it, seems to me.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
-----

 Date: 04-30-90 (00:43)              Number: 3184 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3166
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG PUBLISHING                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 There is probably some provision in Leo's original contract that
 provides for the rights to the book to revert to him if the publisher
 lets the book go out of print.  This is a standard feature of the
 contracts I've signed anyway.  If you want to see Thinking Forth migrate
 to some other publisher (such as FIG) the best approach is via Leo, not
 by confronting Prentice Hall head-on.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

 Date: 05-02-90 (16:49)              Number: 3190 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3177
 From: KENNETH O'HESKIN                Read: NO
 Subj: FIG PUBLISHING                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JW>       They should be approached.

         Yes, they could undoubtedly afford a slick cover for it.
         I would hope all avenues are investigated. FIG could play
         a useful role in expediting publication (if not actually
         do the publishing itself), like sharing the buy-out cost
         of the copyright and become a partner with a third-party
         publisher.
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~ x

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----