[comp.lang.forth] multi-line comments

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (Mitch Bradley) (06/04/90)

> > >       "(" handles multi-line comments when loading from text files.
> Ick. Multi-line comments are a botch anyway, and this prevents some
> interesting (in terms of hacking the implementation) uses.

I polled a lot of people, vendors and users alike, and the feeling in
favor of multi-line comments was overwhelming.

The tools to create whatever comment style you prefer are now present,
with the recent extensions to QUERY, the new word PARSE, and the precision
with which the semantics of text file loading is now specified.

> What makes you think [ Setjmp and longjmp require the allocation of
> global memory ] ?

As Henk Lengeveld has also pointed out, the variable of type "jmp_buf"
which allows longjmp() to rendezvous with setjmp() is a global variable
in the sense that its storage must be allocated statically.  Its name
scope may be limited to a particular file, but its storage space is global.

Mitch

In article <9006041403.AA15819@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Mitch Bradley <wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV> writes:
> The tools to create whatever comment style you prefer are now present,
> with the recent extensions to QUERY, the new word PARSE, and the precision
> with which the semantics of text file loading is now specified.

Well, my concern is that the semantics are too precise. By making multi-
line comments part of the standard, you prevent the use of a simple get-
a-line-and-feed-it-to-interpret style of file loader. If you can't get the
semantics of divide right, why overspecify here?

> > What makes you think [ Setjmp and longjmp require the allocation of
> > global memory ] ?

> As Henk Lengeveld has also pointed out, the variable of type "jmp_buf"
> which allows longjmp() to rendezvous with setjmp() is a global variable
> in the sense that its storage must be allocated statically.

Why? What's wrong with:

	foo()
	{
		jmp_buf bar;