[comp.lang.forth] Flames

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/06/90)

 Date: 06-04-90 (11:43)              Number: 3313 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: 3253
 From: GENE LEFAVE                     Read: NO
 Subj: LICENSING PROGRAMMERS         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JS>skills.  I see a lack of concern with quality.  New grads seem
 JS>mainly concerned with seeing how quickly they can get out of
 JS>programming and into management.
 JS>Sorry if I sound negative, but I haven't seem much lately to
 JS>inspire confidence in programming as a profession.
 .
 I agree with you.  I have trouble with the concept programmer as
 professional.  Namely because they are, with rare exceptions, at
 the mercy of management.  I have been told to either "ship it" or
 "get out" even when I didn't feel that something was complete or
 adequate for the job. The term professional has a connotation that
 the individual is responsible for quality.  I find that in most
 instances management has the control.  In my experience most
 managers find programmers and enginneers in general about as
 important as a second left foot.
 .
 I've slowly come around to a position of supporting some type of
 licensing if only to get some leverage with management.
 ---
  ~ EZ-Reader 1.13 ~
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/16/90)

 Date: 06-12-90 (11:00)              Number: 3344 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: CANCEL THE MEETING, LIZ!      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        From page 25 of the "Computer Solutions Catalog #5", a catalog
 of PD Software disks:

        "LA508: ... FIGFORTH - The complete FIG-FORTH Language that
 is an '83 ANSI standard implementation."

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----

 Date: 06-13-90 (12:10)              Number: 3355 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3344
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: CANCEL THE MEETING, LIZ!      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Wow, a Forth for everyone:  FIG-FORTH ANSI-STANDARD FORTH-83!!

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
-----