[comp.lang.forth] Programmer Quality

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (06/28/90)

In <22747@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, kassarji@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KASSARJIAN STEVEN J) writes:

> Forth seems to start me out at a lower level, but does not provide any forsee-
> able limit (except my self).
> The limit in Forth _is_ the programmer.
> Steve.

I agree with you here.  Perhaps the next question should be:

Is there any way, other than beating your head against a wall, to
teach people to exploit Forth to the fullest?  Does one need to have
a formal teaching experience?  Can one learn Forth on the side whilest
still making a living programming in a profane language?  Can previous
traveller's point out the "rough spots" to learning Forth, or is finding
those on your own a necessary part of the learning process?  Does the
analogy that some make between Forth and Zen extend validly to the
enlightment process?  I once asked Wavrik (via proxy when he was a guest
on FIG's GEnie RoundTable) if there were any particular methods that
were effective in helping programmers already proficient in other
languages to unlearn their bad habits and learn Forth.  The response
was not very heartening.  I wonder if the process of 'thinking Forth' is
mysticized because it has to be, or if that is just a historical fluke?
Is learning to "think Forth" really an individualized process or is it
just so different from picking up another "profane" language that there
aren't yet any other good alternatives to the individualized process?

-Doug

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]