[comp.lang.forth] FIG Suspends Chapter Coordinator!

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/03/90)

 Date: 05-02-90 (00:31)              Number: 3181 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3178
 From: MICHAEL HOBSON                  Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Since I am not a member of FIG, it is probably not my place to comment
 on this; but since this is a public forum in a country where the public
 is allowed to comment freely, I choose to do so.
 Is FIG the sort of organization where everything MUST take place in
 absolute secrecy?  Do you suppose that JAX will be permanently disbarred
 for making known the fact that he is under attack from somewhere in the
 organization?  Perhaps one of the as yet invisible FIG Gods will deign
 to enlighten us as to the true nature of this matter.
 "The Elf" [^]-[^]
            \---/
 Elf - A wise (?) and helpful variety of magical being.
 *** Don't listen to me ... I have a stupid tagline! ***
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/03/90)

 Date: 05-01-90 (07:47)              Number: 161 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        I'd love to Jerry ... any objections, Dennis?

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 7         Wed May 02, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:57 EDT

As I have said already Jack, I do not care to discuss this matter in public,
and I should also point out that I am not the one who is suggesting that you
did anything wrong.

Michael, no, I do not feel that FIG business should be conducted in secrecy,
and I encourage open discussion about anything that is on your mind.  However,
when the matter requires disciplinary action, the Rules of Order require those
discussions to be carried on in private and formal charges brought against the
person before the members of the organization.  In a case such as this, where
the persons in question are representatives of FIG and the result of this
process would be the removal of privilages granted by the Board of Directors,
then I claim that it is not a matter for public debate.

I initiated this discussion in private, but Jack has choosen to make it
public.  I assure you all, that this matter will be resolved by the Board of
Directors, and that our decision will be made public. However, until we, as a
group, have heard the charges and made a decision as to their validity, I will
not discuss the matter in public.

Thank you for your concern.   DaR
-----

 Date: 05-02-90 (08:07)              Number: 3188 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Jack, this is a matter that should absolutely be talked about in privat

        This is a matter to be talked about in public. After listening
 to JD HALL in December, and you for years, and seeing what we see
 about FIG, I came to the conclusion that FIG was in deep doo-doo.

 >and I wish I was online yesterday so that I could have killed this topi
 >before it got spread.  However, since you have chosen to take it public
 >will confirm that you have been placed on suspension.  However, I have
 >heard the charges myself and I will not attempt to justify them here.

        Dennis, you know that you and I agree about what's wrong with
 FIG. We just disagree about what to do about them.

 >personally do not find anything you have done justification for this ac
 >and I have no intention of shutting you up.  I was merely informing you
 >what I'm sure some wish had been kept quiet.

        "This is the way FIG ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." :-)

 >If you insist on carrying on the discussion here, I
 >you that you will loose whatever good will you do have.  This IS NOT a
 >matter, but something that can only be dealt with in private session by
 >Board of Directors.  I will gladely carry on this discussion in private
 >but until it is resolved, I do not care to respond here further.

        Well, Dennis, if shitcanning me will help FIG, so be it.
 On the other hand, a good controversy might liven things up!

 Date: 05-02-90 (17:52)              Number: 3189 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HOBSON                  Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 One more thing I forgot to ask you in my previous posting about this
 subject:  Are the rumors about a FIG star chamber true?  And are you a
 regularly attending member?  :->
 "The Elf" [^]-[^]
            \---/
 Elf - A wise (?) and helpful variety of magical being.
 *** Don't listen to me ...  I have a stupid tagline. ***

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 10        Thu May 03, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:20 EDT

Michael, what is this "FIG star chamber" supposed to be?  I have not heard the
rumor so I can neither confirm nor deny it. Unfortunately, even living as
close as I do, it is still near impossible for me to be "a regular attending
member" of the FIG Business Group.  Last weeks meeting cost me a vacation day
and 23.5 hours of my life.

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/06/90)

 Date: 05-04-90 (00:58)              Number: 3200 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3198
 From: MICHAEL HOBSON                  Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Very well, so long as when a decision is rendered, the charges are made
 plain as well.  I do apologize for bull-baiting you with some of my
 other remarks, here.  I have chatted with JAX (he is sympathetic to
 my proposed Dolphin Speech Project, so we chat on his board sometimes)
 and he has gently pointed out that you are dedicated and trying to be
 fair; therefore, my snide comments are unjust and ill-concieved and I
 hereby publicly retract them
 "The Elf" [^]-[^]
            \---/
 Elf - A wise (until recently) and helpful variety of magical being.
-----

 Date: 05-03-90 (15:28)              Number: 3201 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HOBSON                Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: 05-03-90 (22:32)
 Subj: CHAP. COORD. SUSPENDED!       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        Michael ---

        I appreciate your support.

        The thing to remember here is that there are no "bad guys"
 in this situation ... just people who want the best for FIG and
 other people who think FIG is already doing its best.

        There are many ways that FIG could be doing its primary job ...
 promoting FORTH ... better than it does now. I happen to have come
 up with a few ideas. One of them happened to be to tell the members
 that FIG was foundering under the "ancien regime". This naturally
 pissed off the Board, since it was unfortunately and coincidentally
 the truth.

 Date: 05-03-90 (22:32)              Number: 3202 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HOBSON                  Read: NO
 Subj: CHAP. COORD. SUSPENDED!       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Ok, so I am too reactionary and ill-informed.  I humbly apologize to any
 I may have unjustly offended.  By the way, thanx for the encouraging
 chat Re: the Dolphin Speech Project and other matters.
 "The Elf" [^]-[^]
            \---/

 Date: 05-04-90 (06:44)              Number: 3204 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3198
 From: STEVE PALINCSAR                 Read: NO
 Subj: FIG Secrecy                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 You know, Dennis, one of the big problems FIG has had in the past few
 years has been exactly this - a great desire for secrecy, protected by
 self-generated rules demanding it.  For example, where the h*** is the
 financial report I first asked for over a year ago?  Still being debated
 in secret, while the star chamber decides upon a suitable "format."
 Same for this case, I fear.  So JAX is smartass with a mouth as big as
 the great outdoors.  We all knew this within the first 15 seconds of his
 first appearance on ForthNET!  Should this be a surprise to FIG?  So
 what did he do?  Surely it couldn't have been any more heinous than we'd
 expect of a Member of Congress, or perhaps a Mayor of a national
 capital?  And we can surely read about them...
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/07/90)

 Date: 05-04-90 (12:48)              Number: 3207 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HOBSON                Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: CHAP. COORD. SUSPENDED!       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        Thanx for your support, Michael! I just didn't want to give
 the impression I thought the "powers that be" of FIG were SOB's :-)
 I just think they don't appreciate what FIG could be doing for the
 promotion of Forth.

 Date: 05-05-90 (01:28)              Number: 3208 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        By the way, Dennis, do you mind if I give the addresses
 of the FIG Chapters to SIGForth? They're up to 500 members. George
 Shaw would like the addresses. He tells me that FIG views itself
 as being in competition with SIGForth and so resists sharing the
 mailing list.

        I think that's ridiculous, Dennis. What you say we give him
 the mailing list before FIG's paranoia gets *too* rampant?

        THIS WEEK'S QUOTATION from Chairman =jax= ..........

        "Don't let interorganizational rivalry get in the way of
 promoting Forth! All power to the inner interpreter! All power
 to the Technical Committee of X3J14! Hail Moore!"

 Date: 05-05-90 (13:00)              Number: 3210 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3208
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JW>of the FIG Chapters to SIGForth? They're up to 500 members. George
 JW>Shaw would like the addresses. He tells me that FIG views itself
 JW>as being in competition with SIGForth and so resists sharing the
 JW>mailing list.

 Just out of curiousity, is SIGForth willing to give FIG a copy of
 its mailing list?
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~
-----

 Date: 05-04-90 (09:51)              Number: 3211 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
 From: JONAH THOMAS                    Read: NO
 Subj: CHAP. COORD. SUSPENDED!       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Mr. Woehr responded to his suspension by calling for the
 >resignation of the Board of Directors of the Forth Interest
 >Group. "They're a great bunch and great programmers, but they have
 >proved their inability to run a modern professional association,"

   It's clear there's a problem here.  And it's clear you don't have a
 solution.
   Self-selected groups can do a great job.  If they stop doing a great
 job, it isn't obvious what to do about it.  They have the chance to work
 together smoothly, and if they lose their direction, well, does it
 really help to bring in people who CAN'T work smoothly with them?  When
 it happens, it's a problem.
   People don't generally like controversy.  When it comes up, most
 people go away and the ones who're attracted tend to be the ones who
 like a good fight more than they want results.  Your challenge to FIG is
 a clear sign that something is wrong, but it isn't part of the solution,
 it's just a warning to others to stay away.  It makes it harder to find
 a solution, if there's anybody looking.
   There may BE no solution.  Maybe we should let FIG fold and join
 FORTH-SIG or whatever.  But it's clear that if you can't work with them,
 it won't help to work against them.  By the time you win, there won't be
 anything left worth having.
   Do we need an organization with a glossy-cover magazine?  Less than 5
 years ago.  You could post your articles on Genie, and I could download
 the ones I wanted cheaper than buying FD.  But it doesn't work to get
 rid of FD and have a magazineless FIG, either.
   A lot of the problem comes because we don't quite know what we're
 doing.  When everybody thinks you're doing something that works, it's
 easier to approve.  When it looks like it isn't working, their doubts
 reinforce yours.  If we find a really workable direction, we can build
 an organization to further it.  the organization can be part of FIG or
 not, whichever is more convenient.

   I see a central problem with Forth, that it doesn't come naturally to
 americans who watch TV.  I tried teaching Forth to some bright
 high-school students.  They'd picked up Basic in about a month (except
 for the file-handling, which they never got).  After 6 weeks of Forth,
 the brightest of them went back to Basic.  The system never crashed with
 Basic, they never did strange things they couldn't at all understand,
 they could keep all the instructions in their heads at once.  They wrote
 long involved buggy programs with no comments, and tracked down the
 problems by running their programs over and over and looking for the
 obvious solutions to obvious problems.  (The subtle problems mostly
 didn't even get found.)  They were happy with it.
   They hated using a stack.  They hated having to declare variables.
 They hated having the IF THEN ELSE be backward.  They never found out
 how wonderful it was.
   Maybe if we taught forth in grade school....
 ---
  * Via ProDoor 3.1

 NET/Mail : The MATRIX (5 Nodes/1.2 Gig) Birmingham, AL (205) 323-2016
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/07/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 19        Sun May 06, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 18:57 EDT

Jack, the FIG mailing list is the property of FIG and the come under the
province of the Business Group.  We have both sold it and exchanged it with
others in the past.  We have also had to purchase mailing lists from others.
Since I am not aware of George's request, I can not comment on the specifics
of it.  However, 500 address in exchange for a couple of thousand does not
appear to be a very good trade.  Especially when there is (very likely) quite
a bit of overlap between the two lists.

There does seem to be quite a lot of competitive tendancies between George
Shaw and FIG, but I do not think the FIG Board of Directors views the ACM
SIGForth group as competitors.  I personally, would like to see us work very
close together, and I can think of many ways we can benifit each other.
However, this does not mean placing all of FIG resources at the disposal of
ACM for free.  I would expect some exchange to be worked out first.

Let not the promotion of Forth get in the way of the responsible business
management of FIG.  All power to the programmer!

DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/09/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 21        Mon May 07, 1990
DANMILLER [dr. dan]          at 23:15 CDT

No dark secret.  ACM SIGFORTH was started to promote Forth. Not in
 competition with FIG but to address a different market. To reach
 the computer establishment and gain some programming jobs.  We tried
 linking to IEEE but that is very difficult for a small group.  The
 ACM has been very hospitable.  The link to ACM gives us a presence
 and mature stature.  We will be hosting our annual conference next
 year in San Antonio to coincide with and draw attendees from the
 ACM SIGCSE  (computer science education conference ) whose attendees
 number in the several thousands!  hopefully a few will drop by
 the Forth conference.  Sigforth is volunteer and has the manpower
 shortage/volunteer shortage any volunteer group has, exacerbated
 by the small number of active forth programmers.  I think fig does
 and has done a good job. (jax, raspberries) .  Sigforth has been
 attempting to reach out in a different direction, not in competition,
 but for the same end.  I might add, that so far its not been any
 more sucessful than FIG.  but hopefully the effects of the two
 groups will be cumulative.
-----

 Date: 05-07-90 (08:13)              Number: 3218 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: CHAP. COORD. SUSPENDED!       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Now perhaps you are beginning to understand why I gave up on FIG many
 >years ago.  It simply isn't relevant to anyone who has to live & work i
 >the real world.

        It's tempting just to agree, but as a United States Chess
 Federation Expert, I've watched US Chess go through a similar
 battle. The final outcome was pretty much what we see here: The
 professional chessplayers formed their own association, but still
 participated in the US Chess Federation.

        The difference is that US Chess got a grip on itself and
 got really rolling on promoting chess to the dilletante. FIG
 could still do some mighty things to promote Forth if it got
 off its duff. :-)

 Date: 05-07-90 (08:16)              Number: 3219 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >JW>of the FIG Chapters to SIGForth? They're up to 500 members. George
 >JW>Shaw would like the addresses. He tells me that FIG views itself
 >JW>as being in competition with SIGForth and so resists sharing the
 >JW>mailing list.
 >
 >Just out of curiousity, is SIGForth willing to give FIG a copy of
 >its mailing list?

        Sounds fair, we can offer quid-pro-quo!

        All Geo. S. was asking for was chapter leader addresses, BTW>

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/29/90)

 Date: 05-27-90 (00:06)              Number: 3279 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3246
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: OPEN LETTER                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Well, it's been a couple of weeks now, Jack.  So what's the
 story?  Are you still suspended?  Do you know why?  Any changes?

 I liked your FD column BTW -- my reading is that of the four
 chapters you mention, all are inactive.  True?  Is that the
 general situation?  Is it time to close up shop?
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.29 ~
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/29/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 35        Mon May 28, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 15:02 EDT

FYI, here is the text of the letter that I delivered to Jack at last week's
ANS Forth meeting in Florida:

Dear Jack,

This letter is to inform you that your appointment as the Forth Interest Group
Chapter Coordinator has been terminated.  This action was taken by the Forth
Interest Group Board of Directors at its meeting of May 11, 1990.

Matters relating to chapter activities should now be referred to the Chapter
Desk, Forth Interest Group Business, P.O. Box 8231, San Jose, CA  95155.

Thank you for your dedication to chapter activities and for your support of
the Forth Interest Group.

                                     Sincerely,

                                     Robert R. Reiling
                                     President, Forth Interest Group
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/31/90)

 Date: 05-28-90 (20:23)              Number: 3287 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: OPEN LETTER                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Well, it's been a couple of weeks now, Jack.  So what's the
 >story?  Are you still suspended?  Do you know why?  Any changes?

        I'm *fired* ... no charges, no hearing.

        If FORTHNET is still linked to USENET, the story ought
 to be wending your way shortly ... let me know if we are
 *disconnected* currently from USENET in which case I'll upload
 my latest posting to FORTHNET.

        At least the FIG Board had a MEETING ... its FIRST in
 OVER A YEAR ... just to can yours truly!

        The good news is that Dennis *swears* elections are
 happening. Of course, he is also one of the three Board
 members that guaranteed me a hearing .. :-)

 >I liked your FD column BTW -- my reading is that of the four
 >chapters you mention, all are inactive.  True?  Is that the
 >general situation?  Is it time to close up shop?

        No, the HOUSTON chapter was still lively, and one other
 was still meeting.

        I called others and there are indeed lively chapters.
 Boston, Denver, Great Lakes ... others.

        NO it is NOT time to fold up shop. It *is* time for new
 management, however!

        =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/31/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 37        Wed May 30, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:13 EDT

  Subject: Open letter
  In a reply to Jerry Shifrin Jack Woehr writes:
 >       If FORTHNET is still linked to USENET, the story ought
 >to be wending your way shortly ... let me know if we are
 >*disconnected* currently from USENET in which case I'll upload
 >my latest posting to FORTHNET.
     ForthNet and USENET are still very linked. I (gars) have
     lost my feed and Doug's was broke; but the c.l.f. news was
     picked up directly from UUNET. If the post is there, it
     will winnow its way onto ForthNet.
      gars@glsrk (curreently disconnected)
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/31/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 39        Wed May 30, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:02 EDT

Re: jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr)

 > No hearing, as promised by Dennis Ruffer

I don't remember promising Jax, but I did ask for for you to be heard.
However, we had already heard your opinion (from your postings) and it is not
as if we kicked you out of FIG (which would require a hearing).  All we did
was vote to terminate the appointment that we had given you earlier.

 > the WHOLE BOARD is going up for election

Not quite Jax.  Jack Brown and Mike Elola's terms have not expired yet and
they will be continuing their positions.  John Hall, Wil Baden, Robert Smith
and my own 3 year positions are over at the end of this year, and Terry Sutton
has already resigned (she just got married and didn't have enough time any
more).  Since there would be 5 vacancies at the end of this year, the
elections would have been held anyway.  All I have done is suggest that we ask
the FIG members to submit petitions and tell them what it takes to have have a
ballot of the members.  The full details will appear in the July/August issue
of Forth Dimensions and I will open up the discussions on the Net soon.  In
the mean time, the nominating committee has been formed, consisting of Jack
Brown and Mike Elola, and they are in charge of the process.

DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/01/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 40        Thu May 31, 1990
W.FEDERICI [W.FEDERICI]      at 20:24 PDT

As a FIG member whose main activity is paying the yearly dues and reading FD,
I'm sure my opinions are of no interest whatsoever to the members of the
board, but...
 .
 I am truly curious why all this verbage over the matter of Mr. Woehr's
termination with nary the tiniest  hint of a reason for the board's decision,
just to put the matter to rest for us outsiders. (Oh dear me, is there any
chance I have unintentionally done something that might offend the board and
get me dismissed as a member?  Who can tell?)
 .
 (Actually, my suspicion is that Mr. Woehr's manner is simply too abrasive, or
his attitudes too "sixties" to meld with the rest of the board -- this would
be, if not totally defendable, at least quite understandable, and certainly
not hard to explain!)
 .
 Oh, well, if the board can't bother to give Mr. Woehr a reason, they
certainly aren't going to give us mere members one, are they?
 .
 Wilson

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/03/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 41        Sat Jun 02, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 01:02 EDT

Re:  Wilson [W.FEDERICI]

 > I'm sure my opinions are of no interest whatsoever

Wilson, that is absolutely NOT the case.  I am interested in any opinion you,
or any other FIG member has, and although the rest of the Board does not
express their feelings quite as openly as I do, I'm sure they feel the same.

This matter was entirely between the FIG Board of Directors and Mr. Woehr.  It
was Mr. Woehr who decided to open it up for public debate, not any one on the
Board.  However, if an explanation will help to put this matter to rest, here
one is:  Mr Woehr was appointed by the Board to help promote FIG Chapters,
however, his recent activities did not appear to be accomplishing that goal.
Thus we have terminated his appointment.

Chapter coordination will now revert to the Chapters Desk in the FIG Business
Offices (408-277-0668).  We had set Kent Stafford up in this position shortly
after appointing Mr. Woehr and he is well prepared to answer any questions you
may have about Chapters activities.

Any other questions?   DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/04/90)

 Date: 06-02-90 (03:16)              Number: 3307 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3306
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 DR>one is:  Mr Woehr was appointed by the Board to help promote FIG Chapters,
 DR>however, his recent activities did not appear to be accomplishing that
goal
 DR>Thus we have terminated his appointment.

 I don't want to prolong the debate, but this really opens up more
 questions:  Did Jack know that this was the reason he was
 suspended?  What recent activities?
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.29 ~
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/04/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 43        Sun Jun 03, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 15:08 EDT

Re: JERRY SHIFRIN

 > Did Jack know that this was the reason

Yes!  I discussed it with him personally at the TC meeting.

DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/05/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 44        Mon Jun 04, 1990
W.FEDERICI [W.FEDERICI]      at 19:18 PDT

I raised the issue not because of any intense interest in who holds what FIG
office or why, but because I was irritated by the lack of candor.  The
irritation lingers -- such a simple answer should have been forthcoming a lot
more readily -- but I'm content to let the matter rest.

-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/06/90)

 Date: 06-04-90 (10:44)              Number: 3316 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 3312
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Re: JERRY SHIFRIN
 >
 > > Did Jack know that this was the reason
 >
 >Yes!  I discussed it with him personally at the TC meeting.
 >
 >DaR

        Um, Dennis, let's put it this way: you and I discussed
 the "official" reason for my dismissal. But let's save that
 stuff for official notices and not burden Bro. Jerry with the
 formality.

        I was dismissed because I became concerned that the current
 FIG administration was running the organization into the ground
 and said so in public. This offended the administration and I was
 canned. I understand this and accept it, as I hope y'all will
 accept that your board positions have been filled with reform
 candidates after the next Board election ... :-)

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/07/90)

 Date: 06-05-90 (13:53)              Number: 3317 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3316
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Jack,
    Sorry to hear about all of this nonsense...politics stinks.  BTW, I
 liked your articles in Embedded Systems.  So persevere, and don't let
 these turkeys trouble you.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/08/90)

 Date: 06-06-90 (00:11)              Number: 3325
   To: W.FEDERICI [W.FEDERICI]       Refer#: 3302
 From: HANS PIERROT                    Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

    Maybe we should ask them for a copy of the rules of the organization.
 I have been a member of FIG for more years than I care to remember.  And
 I Certainly don't recall being asked to vote on anything.  Perhaps the
 board could spare some space in FD to publish the rules of FIG. Then
 maybe we can find out how to nominate for the board. Maybe it will also
 tell us how ordinary members like us can exercise some of our other
 rights. Maybe some one from down under should nominate. Then we would
 have to hold board meetings via the telephone or BBS.
    Are there any other 'just members' out there who are feeling
 concerned????
      Hans.
 ---
  * Via ProDoor 3.0

 NET/Mail : Australian Connection Forth Board (Melbourne) 61 3 8091787
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/08/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 48        Thu Jun 07, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 21:31 EDT

Re: HANS PIERROT

 > Perhaps the board could spare some space in FD to publish the
 > rules of FIG. Then maybe we can find out how to nominate for the
 > board.

Your wish is my command.  Watch for you July/August issue and get your
petitions in!

You're welcome.   DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/10/90)

 Date: 06-06-90 (08:32)              Number: 3328 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 3317
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: 06-07-90 (10:52)
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Hi Jack,
 >   Sorry to hear about all of this nonsense...politics stinks.

        Thanx for your support David, though I must confess that I
 couldn't possibly deny a charge of "playing politics" here myself.

        My disagreement with the FIG Board is over goals and methods,
 but not over whether there should be a Board, or whether that Board
 should be essentially a political body which must stand election.

 >BTW, I
 >liked your articles in Embedded Systems.

        Thanx! I get to enjoy them three times each! Once when I write
 them, once when I see them in print, and once when I hear from you!

 >So persevere, and don't let
 >these turkeys trouble you.

        Ne illegitimi carborundum! :-)

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/11/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 50        Sun Jun 10, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 11:06 CDT

 To Wil or other experts on Latin,
  Jax writes
        Ne illegitimi carborundum!
  And someone corrects it to
        Non illegitimi carborundum!
  Is the last (or even the first) correct Latin?  If so, does it really
translate as "Don't let the bastards grind you down"?  I've seen it for  years
and always wondered.
  Or, is it similar to  "Como esta frijole cabrito?" which is joke Spanish
for "How you bean, kid?"?
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/14/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 51        Tue Jun 12, 1990
W.BADEN1 [Wil]               at 19:43 PDT

I have forgotten xcix percentum of my Latin, and I never have been an expert,
although there were several years when translating Gregorian chants from Latin
into English was a hobby of mine.  I trust that everyone recognizes that my
tag, Procedamus in Pace, should be translated as Let us go Forth in peace.  In
1940, when I first had to study Latin (I didn't have a choice), illegitimimus
non carborundum was considered hot stuff -- very risque -- but no way is it
really Latin.  I have a memory that it was a favorite of General Stillwell.

We also thought the correct Latin "Penis erectus conscientiam non habet" was
hot stuff.  I remember a game of charades when a school mate was given this to
act out.  Rather than describe his inspired efforts, I leave it as an exercise
to the reader.

As the patron saint of Forth is supposed to have said, Entia non sunt
multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/16/90)

 Date: 06-14-90 (15:38)              Number: 3356 (Echo)
   To: W.BADEN1 [WIL]                Refer#: 3354
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: FIG SUSPENDS CHAPTER COOR     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 WW>As the patron saint of Forth is supposed to have said, Entia non sunt
 WW>multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

 Just a shot in the dark (or at least from behind a shadow screen):

    Thou shalt not multiply by odd numbers!
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.29 ~
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/03/90)

Category 8,  Topic 24
Message 55        Mon Jul 02, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:54 EDT

  PORTED FROM Wetware =>
              -------

 Item 12 by Luther Huffman (luther), on Sat, Jun 16, 1990 (08:43)
 FIG Question

 1 new of 2 responses total.

 #12.2 (2) by Luther Huffman (luther), on Sat Jun 30 07:19:12 1990:
  I've been reading a lot about this "jax" guy who was suspended.  Now he
  is going to run for office in FIG.  What can you tell me about this guy?

 Response by Gary Smith:

-----