[comp.lang.forth] Toolshop Standards

ir230@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (john wavrik) (07/03/90)

Doug Philips writes:
> Personally I'd prefer a toolshop that already has some standardized
> tools in it.  Not mandatory, but available.  Presumably there is
> enough experience with building houses that I could reasonably expect
> to find a hammer in the toolshop already.  Even if I have to make my
> own sledge for pounding in the stakes for the concrete forms, I'd
> expect to find a utility hammer at least already there.  I should be
> able to remove it as well.  I think the idea of "extended wordsets"
> fits this bill perfectly.

We all have visions of what Forth should have become. Mine was that
the foundations would have stabilized about 8 years ago to the point
where one could write significant applications which would run on any
Forth. This would have led to the development of a refereed library
of high quality tested tools that one could buy at modest cost (but
which could be freely used in applications). This, in turn, would have
led to the concept of "Tools You Can Modify" -- tools explicitly
written to facilitate adaptation. The net result would have been a
programming environment both more flexible and more powerful than
anything conventional languages can provide.

I think that what has actually happening is something like this:

    Most toolmakers have been using hexagonal heads on their nuts and
    bolts -- but one major vendor uses pentagonal heads. Now comes the
    Standards meetings. Each of them have made something called a "box
    wrench", but obviously it has a 5 sided opening for one guy and a
    6 sided opening for everyone else. The six sided people point out
    that their design has the advantage of allowing open-end wrenches
    -- but to no avail (the 5 sided guy believes that he can tighten
    a nut 3% faster if it has a 5-sided head -- and he threatens to
    walk out unless 5-sided nuts are made Standard).

    After hours of deliberation, they decided to leave the issue of
    how many sides a nut has "implementation dependent". But one among
    them says that it would be inappropriate to do this with something
    so basic as nuts and bolts. Finally someone comes up with a
    brilliant compromise: if a wrench has a 30 sided opening it will
    fit over both types of nuts. [No matter that no one has ever made
    such a thing -- and if they did they'd find it would not support
    much torque and has a tendency to round off the corners of nuts]
    Finally, there was the matter of a name -- both groups had been
    using the name "wrench" -- so they decided to call the new object
    a neutral name: "sponge". And what about the useful open-end
    wrenches? "They are obviously non-Standard since they do not
    conform to existing practice, which includes both 6 and 5-sided
    nuts.

    Now of course, anyone who knows what is involved in getting this
    toolshop idea off the ground knows that after 2 years of
    deliberation we should not only have agreement on the shape of
    nuts, but on thread sizes and diameters for bolts and hundreds of
    other basic things. Instead we have a 30-sided sponge and no open-
    end wrenches. (But don't worry, the sponge is in the extended
    wordset, so you don't have to use it if you don't want to)

                                                  John J Wavrik
             jjwavrik@ucsd.edu                    Dept of Math  C-012
                                                  Univ of Calif - San Diego
                                                  La Jolla, CA  92093

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (07/04/90)

ir230@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (john wavrik), in <11713@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> writes:

> We all have visions of what Forth should have become. Mine was that
> the foundations would have stabilized about 8 years ago to the point
> where one could write significant applications which would run on any
> Forth.
Meaning we should have stuck with Forth-83, Forth-79, Fig-Forth, or
perhaps done the ANSI effort earlier?  I think you have a nice idea
here.  I curious as to why you think it didn't happen?  Was it even
realisticly possible?

>        This would have led to the development of a refereed library
> of high quality tested tools that one could buy at modest cost (but
> which could be freely used in applications). This, in turn, would have
> led to the concept of "Tools You Can Modify" -- tools explicitly
> written to facilitate adaptation.
Aha, perhaps what we need here is GNU-Forth?  Free, widely distributable,
add on libraries?

>                                   The net result would have been a
> programming environment both more flexible and more powerful than
> anything conventional languages can provide.
I'm curious about your "Tools You Can Modify" concept.  It sounds to me
like Object-Oriented Programming.  Is that it?  If not, how do you see it
as different from OOP?

>                         Instead we have a 30-sided sponge and no open-
>     end wrenches. (But don't worry, the sponge is in the extended
>     wordset, so you don't have to use it if you don't want to)

I think Mitch's rebuttal says everything I have to say about this from a
technical point of view.

What interests me now is how this sort of "political" divisiveness ends up
happening.  Is it really the case that there are only 16% 5-sided bolts
or is it 50% as Mitch suggests.  I have seen NO evidence to support those
numbers one way or another.  I still haven't seen any answer from anyone
on the TC about how they go about quantifying that kind of information.
I am neither more inclined to believe John nor Mitch at this point, since
both are merely making assertions to support their positions.  Doesn't
ANSI spell out in any procedural detail how the TC is supposed to assess
"existing/common practice?"  Does it instead require the TC to submit a
proposal for how it will do that?  Does the TC just get to say what it
wants to on that topic, unchallenged?  I find it hard to believe that
the various sides of this issue are merely promoting their own self interest
by lying with statistics, but don't have the information to draw any other
conclusions.  If this kind of bickering has been going on since the beginning
of the "standard" effort, I can see why many of the TC committee would be
fed up.   I also don't understand why they wouldn't have adopted some kind
of formal policy about what was to qualify as common practice and just cut
past all the BS.  Is it because ANSI will let anyone who wants to be "sit"
on the committee and just nay-say anything that comes by, if they feel
like it?  Are John and Gary really saying that the ANSI process waters
down standards so much that they are worthless?

-Doug

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]