[comp.lang.forth] FORTH & OS/2

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/09/90)

 Date: 05-07-90 (10:28)              Number: 576 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: STEVE PALINCSAR                 Read: NO
 Subj: 32-bit OS/2 PC Mag articl     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Ray, I just read your article on 32-bit OS/2 in the v.9 no. 10 issue of
 PC Mag.  To begin with, an excellent article -- as always!  But what's
 noteworthy about my reaction is this: after a couple of years of
 <ho-hum, who needs this crap> reactions to OS-2 & PM, finally there's
 something there that maybe makes sense!  Now that more machines are
 getting the resources (and the _hefty_ resources required certainly
 contribute to my <ho-hum> feelings) to run it, at last it can do a
 number of things that maybe you might just want.  Being able to both run
 OS/2 applications, and also multi-task existing DOS applications, does
 indeed sound like something worth while.

 Also seems to reinforce the idea that they should never have wasted
 their time writing an OS/2 for the 286 anyway, but should rather have
 cut straight to the 386 world.  We'd then be easily 2 years ahead of
 where we are now.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/11/90)

 Date: 07-06-90 (09:38)              Number: 3474 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: 07-06-90 (17:55)
 Subj: UR/FORTH                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >We will probably not release a PM version for a while.  We have a
 >preliminary version but it seems to be wiser to wait for OS/2 2.0 and
 >release the PM version for that.  It appears to me that the 286 16-bit
 >versions of OS/2 are going to be orphaned in the fairly near future.

        True!

 >We will be releasing a Win 3.0 version of UR/FORTH soon though.

        Really? Do you have that confidence that Windows is going
 to be around for a while? I'd be interested in your opinions on
 this.

        While we're at it, why not transfer this thread to the networked
 FORTH conference and we can talk about UR/Forth on the net.

        Our (Vesta's) interest is that we are interested in porting
 our single-board computer development environment to Windows &|
 OS/2.

                =jax=
 ---
  * Via ProDoor 3.1R

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/11/90)

 Date: 07-06-90 (17:54)              Number: 3475 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: UR/FORTH                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 We have just gotten the 2nd prerelease of OS/2 2.0 and the new version
 seems much more stable.  The performance is also much better.  We have a
 32-bit version of 80386 UR/FORTH underway for OS/2 2.0, but we don't
 plan to release it until the retail OS/2 2.0 is released too (this is
 our only assurance that the system has been sufficiently stabilized).
 Although MS and IBM have previously stated that retail OS/2 2.0 would be
 shipped in 1990, we don't believe this will happen.  We don't expect to
 see retail OS/2 2.0 until 2nd or 3rd qtr 1991, although I guess it's
 possible IBM might ship some buggy version on December 31 just to meet
 their previous promises on paper.

 In the near term we see Windows 3 as a more viable target for
 developers.  The ability of Win 3 to support protected mode apps and
 provide demand paged virtual memory (when running on a 386) will meet
 most users' needs for now, and the transition from DOS to DOS+Win3 is a
 lot less frightening to end users than the transition from DOS to OS/2.