[net.movies] Keaton, Sennett, etc.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/04/85)

> From:	ucla-cs!reiher	(Peter Reiher)

>I suppose if one's taste is exclusively to Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, and
>Woody Allen, biting verbal wit, then one might not enjoy classic silent comedy.
>Otherwise, I do not understand how anyone could fail to appreciate it,
>and you are the first person I have ever heard say that he has actually
>seen it and didn't like it.  I won't argue preferences (Chaplin vs. Keaton),
>nor a dislike of an individual performer, but, taken as a whole, the great
>silent comedies of the 1920s are, in my opinion, the funniest films ever
>made.

Well, mark me down for another one who cannot appreciate the silent comedies.
I like all kinds of comedy, from the slapstick of the Three Stooges to the
droll, intellectual wit of Woody Allen, but for some reason I have been unable
to fathom, I've never been able to warm to any of the classic film comedians
(Keaton, Chaplin, etc.) or comedy teams (Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, etc.).

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/05/85)

> From: boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

>Well, mark me down for another one who cannot appreciate the silent comedies.
>I like all kinds of comedy, from the slapstick of the Three Stooges to the
>droll, intellectual wit of Woody Allen, but for some reason I have been unable
>to fathom, I've never been able to warm to any of the classic film comedians
>(Keaton, Chaplin, etc.) or comedy teams (Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, etc.).

Wow! Someone who admits to liking the Three Stooges!! (Although I have
to admit that in my sillier moments I get real charge out of the
Stooges).

One thing I thought of as I read this was that as I watched a bunch of
Keaton films awhile back I found myself very slightly annoyed at one
common theme that seemed to run through all his films.  The comedy in
almost every single case (I actually think is was EVERY case, but I
can't be sure) revolved around someone not saying something to somebody
else or making assumptions based on a lack of communication between two
or more people.  It also seemed to be presented as something that
'decent' people just didn't do/say.  Several times it occurred to me
that "if only he/she/they had said (whatever)" everything would be
fine.  And also the funniness would be gone.  I've noticed this is many
other films of the silent era and wondered how much of the comedy might
be based on cultural conventions of the time (1920's). Perhaps the
changes that have occurred in society since then are one reason for not
being able to appreciate comedy from that era?  Has anyone else had
this kind of experience??

Bill Tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/08/85)

In article <395@harvard.ARPA> tomczak@harvard.UUCP (Bill tomczak) writes:
>> From: boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN)
>
>One thing I thought of as I read this was that as I watched a bunch of
>Keaton films awhile back I found myself very slightly annoyed at one
>common theme that seemed to run through all his films.  The comedy in
>almost every single case (I actually think is was EVERY case, but I
>can't be sure) revolved around someone not saying something to somebody
>else or making assumptions based on a lack of communication between two
>or more people.  It also seemed to be presented as something that
>'decent' people just didn't do/say.  Several times it occurred to me
>that "if only he/she/they had said (whatever)" everything would be
>fine.  And also the funniness would be gone.  I've noticed this is many
>other films of the silent era and wondered how much of the comedy might
>be based on cultural conventions of the time (1920's). Perhaps the
>changes that have occurred in society since then are one reason for not
>being able to appreciate comedy from that era?  Has anyone else had
>this kind of experience??

No.  I can't say that I have noticed silent comedy particularly based on
this principle.  How would you apply it to, say, "The General"?  The
cabin scene in "The Gold Rush"?  The hurricane scene in "Steamboat Bill, Jr."?
The climbing scene in "Safety Last"?  The skyscraper scenes in "Liberty"?
The factory scenes in "Modern Times"?  The boxing scenes in "City Lights"?
The destruction of the house in "Big Business"?  The football game in "The
Freshman"?  The scene of Keaton pursued by hundreds of prospective brides in
"Seven Chances"?  Chaplin's unlikely subdual of the bully in "Easy Street"?

In fact, what films and scenes do you base this observation on?  Obviously,
misunderstandings are a common basis for comedy, going back to the Greeks
and forward through Shakespeare all the way up to today.  I can't say that
the silent comedians were any fonder of this device than any other group,
though.  Now, Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball relied on this very very
heavily, back in the Golden Age of TV comedy, but that isn't nearly the
same thing as the Golden Age of Film Comedy.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/13/85)

In article <7022@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (Peter Reiher) writes:

>misunderstandings are a common basis for comedy, going back to the Greeks
>and forward through Shakespeare all the way up to today.  I can't say that
>the silent comedians were any fonder of this device than any other group,
>though.  Now, Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball relied on this very very
>heavily, back in the Golden Age of TV comedy, but that isn't nearly the
>same thing as the Golden Age of Film Comedy.

Well, I've spent the last half hour trying to remember specifics.  I
really wanted to respond with some kind of documentation on this.
Unfortunately, I saw those films over a year ago and couldn't come
up with enough facts to back me up.

I guess I'll have to watch more of the 20's silents a little more
consciously in this regard.  Sorry, I'm a lousy researcher.  I was
only left with some vague impressions that somehow struck me as
significant. (I don't THINK I was doing any drugs....  but I forget....)

Bill Tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/21/85)

In article <395@harvard.ARPA> tomczak@harvard.UUCP (Bill tomczak) writes:

>One thing I thought of as I read this was that as I watched a bunch of
>Keaton films awhile back I found myself very slightly annoyed at one
>common theme that seemed to run through all his films.  The comedy in
>almost every single case (I actually think is was EVERY case, but I
>can't be sure) revolved around someone not saying something to somebody
>else or making assumptions based on a lack of communication between two
>or more people.  It also seemed to be presented as something that
>'decent' people just didn't do/say.  Several times it occurred to me
>that "if only he/she/they had said (whatever)" everything would be
>fine.  And also the funniness would be gone.  I've noticed this is many
>other films of the silent era and wondered how much of the comedy might
>be based on cultural conventions of the time (1920's). Perhaps the
>changes that have occurred in society since then are one reason for not
>being able to appreciate comedy from that era?  Has anyone else had
>this kind of experience??

I know I have. So have others. On a radio talk show, Douglas Adams (THE HITCH-
HIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY) said that when he was in school, he always looked
forward to taking a Shakespeare class, particularly for the comedies. When he
finally did read them, he was disappointed because they just weren't that
funny, and he realized that this was because most of the jokes had to be
explained to him. The subject matter of the jokes just wasn't easily grasped by
someone living in the 20th century.

Humor is a very fragile thing. If you have to explain a joke, it's no longer
as funny. The humor depends on both the performer and the audience having
similar expectations. So, differences in culture, even a handful of years
separation within the same culture, can confuse or even totally obscure the
point of a joke. Some jokes, of course, are more universal than others.

So, in this more enlightened age (well, we like to think it is), people are
not as reserved. There aren't nearly as many things that "you just don't say."
(If you don't believe me listen to or watch Dr. Ruth Westheimer's "Good Sex"
program. Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! In 1925 you'd have been imprisoned for
life for saying stuff like that to your doctor. Now people call into radio talk
shows with this stuff!)

I have had similar thoughts about Keaton films (well, ok, film...I've only
seen one.) In THE GENERAL, Keaton is a young man in the South during the Civil
War. He is turned down when he volunteers for the Confederate Army due to his
slight build (as I remember) but his girl thinks he was too cowardly to join.
Keaton's character is too polite to object, because you were suppose to be
polite to the ladies.

Anyway, you are not alone.

				   Barth Richards
				   Tellabs, Inc.