[net.movies] Another Bad Movie

bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (10/15/85)

Anybody remember 'Death Race 2000'? A truly terrible movie. Some
game company even came out with an arcade game version of it. The
object of the game was to drive around and kill pedestrians. The
game disappeared after a lot of complaints by outraged citizenry.
	Anyway, the movie was pretty badly done. I watched it because
I like car race & crash movies, but was very disappointed in this. The
cars were ridiculous, and the director made heavy use of speeded up
films.

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (10/16/85)

> Anybody remember 'Death Race 2000'? A truly terrible movie. Some
> game company even came out with an arcade game version of it. The
> object of the game was to drive around and kill pedestrians. The
> game disappeared after a lot of complaints by outraged citizenry.
> 	Anyway, the movie was pretty badly done. I watched it because
> I like car race & crash movies, but was very disappointed in this. The
> cars were ridiculous, and the director made heavy use of speeded up
> films.

"Death Race 2000" is the ONLY movie I've ever been disgusted enough by
to walk out of.  I saw no redeeming value in the 45 minutes to 1 hour
of it that I watched.

                                -- Walt Tucker
                                   Tektronix, Inc.

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/16/85)

In article <836@dataioDataio.UUCP> bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) writes:
>Anybody remember 'Death Race 2000'? A truly terrible movie. Some

Awwww I liked this movie.  I thought was it was kind of funny while at the
same time making a statement.  It made more sense than Rambo!

Sean Casey                              UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                     {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                  ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027             BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

kvk@ihlpm.UUCP (Kevin) (10/17/85)

> Anybody remember 'Death Race 2000'? A truly terrible movie. Some
> game company even came out with an arcade game version of it. The
> object of the game was to drive around and kill pedestrians. The
> game disappeared after a lot of complaints by outraged citizenry.
> 	Anyway, the movie was pretty badly done. I watched it because
> I like car race & crash movies, but was very disappointed in this. The
> cars were ridiculous, and the director made heavy use of speeded up
> films.

I strongly disagree. I found the movie very funny in a dark satiric way.
This is still I think an excellent movie to see while toxically inebriated,
especially the hospital scene, and where the main bad guy takes out his own
pit crew on the final day of the race. True, the effects were not great, but
it was a very campy movie to begin with.

Wasn't Death Race 2000 Sly Stallone's first film role, as the gangster-type
driver ?

					Kevin Kinder
					ihnp4!ihlpm!kvk

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/21/85)

> Wasn't Death Race 2000 Sly Stallone's first film role, as the gangster-type
> driver ?

No, I think it was "Italian Stallion".

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/22/85)

> Anybody remember 'Death Race 2000'? A truly terrible movie. Some
> game company even came out with an arcade game version of it. The
> object of the game was to drive around and kill pedestrians. The
> game disappeared after a lot of complaints by outraged citizenry.
> 	Anyway, the movie was pretty badly done. I watched it because
> I like car race & crash movies, but was very disappointed in this. The
> cars were ridiculous, and the director made heavy use of speeded up
> films.

    I would like to cast a dissenting vote. DR2000 was bad, but not totally.
Remember one of the Carradines as the villain, who scored the first points in
the race by backing over his pit crew.

    --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
    --aka Steve Howard, udenva!showard
    --"No matter what your occupation is