[comp.lang.forth] 3-key input?

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (08/07/90)

I recall seeing that CM is currently touting the wonders of "3 key" only input.
Does anyone know what he means?  I assume that it *isn't* a chord keyboard, but
rather an interface.  Of course, I'm not sure since I don't know what it is.
Thanks in advance,
Doug

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (08/07/90)

In article <1472.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP>, dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) writes:
> I recall seeing that CM is currently touting the wonders of "3 key" only input.
> Does anyone know what he means?  I assume that it *isn't* a chord keyboard, but
> rather an interface.  Of course, I'm not sure since I don't know what it is.

I saw Chuck using one with Sh-Boom at Rochester this summer.
Yes, it *is* a chord keyboard.  Chuck uses it to select one item
from seven in a menu (no keys pressed means no selection yet).
ASCII keystrokes (I assume it's ASCII, but maybe not, knowing Chuck),
are entered by traversing a series of menus.  Also, on ShBoom,
the menus are not actually displayed, since Chuck has them all
memorized anyway.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior scientist at Harris Semiconductor, and adjunct professor at CMU.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (08/09/90)

In <10133@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:
> I saw Chuck using one with Sh-Boom at Rochester this summer.
> Yes, it *is* a chord keyboard.  Chuck uses it to select one item
> from seven in a menu (no keys pressed means no selection yet).
> ASCII keystrokes (I assume it's ASCII, but maybe not, knowing Chuck),
> are entered by traversing a series of menus.  Also, on ShBoom,
> the menus are not actually displayed, since Chuck has them all
> memorized anyway.

Ok, maybe you could provide a bit more info on what you saw?  I'm confused.
It would seem that entering ascii (or any single character entry scheme)
would require more effort than regular typing.  Did his invisible menus
allow him to enter entire Forth words with one or two "strokes"?
I take it that he was using a custom key device, not just a standard PC or
Workstation type keyboard?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

---
Preferred: ( dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us  OR  ...!{sei,pitt}!willett!dwp )
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp  [last resort: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (08/09/90)

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) writes:

>I recall seeing that CM is currently touting the wonders of "3 key" only input.
>Does anyone know what he means?  I assume that it *isn't* a chord keyboard, but
>rather an interface.  Of course, I'm not sure since I don't know what it is.
>Thanks in advance,
>Doug

	Doug, he has a three-key keypad, uses it for everything (except
word processing ... for that he has a typewriter!). Interviewed CM for
an article recently ... he even does the CAD work for SHBOOM on three-key.

	For instance, the keys can be "red green blue". There is eight-color
menu on top. If you want selection "yellow", press "red green" together.

	CM says he plans to replace three-key keypad with a trumpet ...
same number of keys, make life more interesting in the computer room!

 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GEnie             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\